1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

backup file questions

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by contralto, Feb 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. contralto

contralto Thread Starter

hello,

yesterday i learned how to create a backup file using the microsoft backup wizard.

does the backup wizard save only windows systems files (and exclude files i downloaded or created)?

i tried to see the contents of the backup disc i created, so i put it in drive E and tried to open it, but the backup wizard came up and asked me if i wanted to create another backup!

why won't my backup file open/display contents? is it because it was compressed and now must be restored before it will open?

what can i read to learn how to backup the other files (non windows systems files) on my computer?

i appreciate any information/direction you can give me regarding backups.

thank you,

~contralto

2. Sponsor

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

While I never use it (As I have alternative methods of backing up) the Windows XP help does suggest it ONLY backs up and restores system files.

So anything you create or download is not backed up.

4. contralto

contralto Thread Starter

thank you for your response, kiwiguy.

i use windows 98se. does this windows version also exclude downloads and other non windows data in a backup? also, do you have a clue as to why i could not see the contents of the backup disc i recently created?

i need some advice on finding/learning an alternative way to back up files. i need to learn how to also back up downloads, etc.

please give me some advice or point me toward a resource to get me started in learning a better backup method.

thank you,

~contralto

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

It has been a long time since I have used Windows 98, so I cannot comment on those specifics.

For backups, I make sure all my created and downloaded files are in specific known areas. As an example I have a folder called Data, directly under C:\.
    That holds subfolders with everything in it, including my email data and attachments. I will not use Outlook Express so have no problems with its embedded data files.

I simply copy this folder and subfolders as a backup. I use a DOS batch file, its easy and quick. No requirement for other programs.

I do not bother copying installed programs, as I can reinstall them if required, however I do periodically use Norton Ghost to copy a complete image of my C: drive - thats all data and programs - so I could reinstall to that date easily.

I copy everything to a second HDD on the PC. This second drive is in a removeable tray, so can be stored in my fireproof safe.

Additionally I take copies onto CDs at intervals for permanent archiving.

As to why you cant see files in the backup CD, all you should see is a single large file that is a compressed binary copy. The individual files are only recreated if you restore the file.

If you simply cant see anything (the CD is blank or doesn't read) then you have some CD Writer or Medial problem.

The main rule is, you do not have a backup unless you can restore from it. You have to do that to prove any system.

6. jbcalg

jbcalg

fred langa has a very detailed article on various ways and means of backing up

7. contralto

contralto Thread Starter

kiwiguy,

fortunately the backup CD i created did show a single large file. a special thank you for your comment on my backup CD.

i am intrigued by and will look into norton ghost.

thank you for the illumination you provided with your various comments.

sunset photo from last week was beautiful.

stay cool,

~c

8. contralto

contralto Thread Starter

jb,

thank you very much for your response. i am really enjoying the fred langa article.

regards,

~contralto

9. jbcalg

jbcalg

my pleasure

fred's a talented writer and his free newsletter is full of useful info
    (or try the measly $12/yr for subscription - some of which goes towards sponsoring underpriveleged kids, 8 or 10 so far)

10. contralto

contralto Thread Starter

hi,

i ordered norton ghost yesterday. actually i ordered the entire system works pro 2003 because slipe posted a great online deal at software & beyond.

soon i will be learning a little more about computers while attempting to install ghost individually, as i do not need the rest. (i already have updated norton AV, zoneAlarm firewall, adAware, SpyBot, and use google toolbar popup stopper.)

am i correct in assuming that ghost will not be copying emails, and that i will need to use another backup method for those?

any suggestions?

thanx, guys. you're the best:)

~contralto

windows 98se
    256 mb ram
    gateway computer circa 2K with cd burner

11. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Ghost copies e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g thats on your HDD, and restores it exactly as it was when you did the image.

Every file, every virus if there are any, every document.....

12. contralto

contralto Thread Starter

YOU HAVE MADE MY D-A-Y !!!

oops, i was shouting... sorry... it's just that i am so very pleased :)

beaucoup thanx, kiwiguy.

13. kbfresh

kbfresh

Can Microsoft Backup completely backup my entire hard drive including system files? In other words, if my computer crashed could I completely restore (using a Microsoft Backup file) my hard drive without having to reinstall Windows and applications?

14. contralto

contralto Thread Starter

no, kbfresh, see post #2 by kiwiguy on this thread. i made a backup disc using the microsoft wizard, and the log said that windows could not be copied because windows was in use. so after that i got and installed norton ghost and made backup discs, but subsequently could not figure out how to check the integrity of the discs. i hope someone will jump in here and help us both out...
    welcome to tsg :)

15. Yorkshire Guy

Yorkshire Guy

Norton Ghost has a Verify option to check the integrity of your backups, you should always run it after every backup to check that all is well.

The s-o-d's law of not doing this says that the first time you need to restore is when you find out the the backup was corrupt.

M.

16. contralto

contralto Thread Starter

M,
    thanx for your response. i have tried to check the integrity of my ghost back-up discs several times, but it isn't working. it cannot locate the disc in the drive??? makes no sense to me, and i've read the help section at least three times. must be something simple that i just cannot see. a friend is coming over soon to see if we can check the integrity in dos.
    thanx again for your post.

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/201727

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice