1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Backup files

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Southernonline, Jan 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Southernonline

Southernonline Thread Starter

I have 2 backup files on my computer. (see screenshot)
    I want to delete them but cannot figure out how do to this. Can anyone give me some suggestions on how to eliminate these files?

They are:
    My Backup -10-10-02
    My Backup -10-12-09

Thank you

Attached Files:

2. surferdude2

surferdude2

Sorry but that .bmp you attached isn't large enough to discern anything useful about the files. You'll need to pump it up a bit. ;)

3. Southernonline

I tried but the system would not let me upload anything bigger. Lets try something different

4. Southernonline

OK I will try something different so you can see the files.
    Remember its these files I want to eliminate:
    My Backup-- 10-12-20 0958pm
    My Backup-- 10-10-09 0208pm

OK you should be able to read this one. If not, please let me know.

Attached Files:

5. surferdude2

surferdude2

Southernonline, That's better. I can see that those are folders and not files. Often when trying to delete a folder that contains files, the system will refuse and render an error message that states something to the order of "This folder is in use....". In those cases, it is necessary to open the folder down to the last level and start deleting outward until the parent folder is empty. Then it can be deleted.

If that doesn't work, you should try booting to Safe Mode and trying the deed there.

If none of that works, you'll need to use extreme measures, like; booting to the Recovery Console; booting to a PE CD; using a 3rd party file deleter such as MoveOnBoot. Other things come to mind but that's probably enough.

I'm assuming you are using the NTFS file storage system. If you were instead using a FAT32 system, the deletion could be made from a simple DOS boot disk.

Post back if you need further. Telling what backup system you used to create those folders and contents might be helpful also or at least what the file extension is.

6. Southernonline

I tried to felete the backup files in safe mode and then tried to use MoveOn Boot to delete the files. No go!!!
    I really am stumped. How in the hell am i going to get these files off my system?

7. itsjusme

itsjusme

Were these files saved to a recovery partition?

What is the error message you get when you try to delete them?

You can try UNLOCKER, it works well.

Or you can try one of the Linux Live cd`s, most have NTFS read/write support now. I use PUPPY LINUX most of the time, it`s small/lightweight/runs from ram/ and is a good tool for editing/data recovery.

8. Southernonline

This is the message I get when I try to delete the folders.

Error deleting files: Access is denied

What will Unlocker do for me?

9. itsjusme

itsjusme

Unlocker is a program written specifically for this purpose, it will allow you access to and unlock those stubborn, hard to remove files and folders.

From this website, a brief description:
    http://download.cnet.com/Unlocker/3000-2248_4-10493998.html

Just watch the prompts as you install, this newer version will install Bing toolbar and maybe a few other things if you don`t select not to.

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

Do you have Acronis or another disk imaging tool installed?

If you do, start the program and delete saved archives that you do not want to keep.

11. Southernonline

No, I do not have any disk imaging tools installed.

I also downloaded and tried the Unlocker program. No relutls.
    The files were not locked but the program would not delete them either.

12. stantley

stantley

When you get that error you need to take ownership of the files and folders.

http://www.winxptutor.com/ownership.htm

13. surferdude2

surferdude2

Given that you are having a tough time, I'll share my past accumulation of cures that have been known to help in cases like this. I suggest you start using the #4 item, "Take Ownership" link.

That's an old list and I should add some new solutions to it, such as using a PE boot CD such as A BartPE or a Linux Live CD. Also booting to the Recovery Console or a Vista Repair CD could work. The Vista Repair CD will allow command line access to an XP system.

14. Southernonline

I will folow these instructions and let you know as soon as I get a result

15. iy-ashish

iy-ashish

Hi, it seems that you will have to take the ownership of the folder in order to delete them. Do the following simple steps and let us know if it worked for you:
    - Right click on the folder that you want to delete
    - Clcik on properties
    - Clcik on the security tab
    - Click on advanced on the bottom right
    - Click on the owner tab
    - Select you user name from the list, if your name is not available, click on check names and then find your name.
    - Click apply/ok on the windows
    - Try to delete the folders

All the best!!!
    iYogi - Good Karma!!!!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974161

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice