Backup files

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Southernonline

I have 2 backup files on my computer. (see screenshot)
I want to delete them but cannot figure out how do to this. Can anyone give me some suggestions on how to eliminate these files?

They are:
My Backup -10-10-02
My Backup -10-12-09

Thank you

Attachments

Sorry but that .bmp you attached isn't large enough to discern anything useful about the files. You'll need to pump it up a bit. ;)

Southernonline

OK I will try something different so you can see the files.
Remember its these files I want to eliminate:
My Backup-- 10-12-20 0958pm
My Backup-- 10-10-09 0208pm

OK you should be able to read this one. If not, please let me know.

Attachments

Southernonline, That's better. I can see that those are folders and not files. Often when trying to delete a folder that contains files, the system will refuse and render an error message that states something to the order of "This folder is in use....". In those cases, it is necessary to open the folder down to the last level and start deleting outward until the parent folder is empty. Then it can be deleted.

If that doesn't work, you should try booting to Safe Mode and trying the deed there.

If none of that works, you'll need to use extreme measures, like; booting to the Recovery Console; booting to a PE CD; using a 3rd party file deleter such as MoveOnBoot. Other things come to mind but that's probably enough.

I'm assuming you are using the NTFS file storage system. If you were instead using a FAT32 system, the deletion could be made from a simple DOS boot disk.

Post back if you need further. Telling what backup system you used to create those folders and contents might be helpful also or at least what the file extension is.

Southernonline

I tried to felete the backup files in safe mode and then tried to use MoveOn Boot to delete the files. No go!!!
I really am stumped. How in the hell am i going to get these files off my system?

Were these files saved to a recovery partition?

What is the error message you get when you try to delete them?

You can try UNLOCKER, it works well.

Or you can try one of the Linux Live cd`s, most have NTFS read/write support now. I use PUPPY LINUX most of the time, it`s small/lightweight/runs from ram/ and is a good tool for editing/data recovery.

Southernonline

This is the message I get when I try to delete the folders.

Error deleting files: Access is denied

What will Unlocker do for me?

Unlocker is a program written specifically for this purpose, it will allow you access to and unlock those stubborn, hard to remove files and folders.

From this website, a brief description:
http://download.cnet.com/Unlocker/3000-2248_4-10493998.html

Publisher's description
From Cedrick Collomb:

Ever had such an annoying message given by Windows: Cannot delete file: Access is denied. There has been a sharing violation. The source or destination file may be in use or the file is in use by another program or user. Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use. Unlocker is the solution. Unlocker is an Explorer extension that allows you with a simple right-click of the mouse on a file or folder to get rid of error message such as error deleting file or folder, cannot delete folder: it is used by another person or program.
Just watch the prompts as you install, this newer version will install Bing toolbar and maybe a few other things if you don`t select not to.

Do you have Acronis or another disk imaging tool installed?

If you do, start the program and delete saved archives that you do not want to keep.

Southernonline

No, I do not have any disk imaging tools installed.

I also downloaded and tried the Unlocker program. No relutls.
The files were not locked but the program would not delete them either.

Given that you are having a tough time, I'll share my past accumulation of cures that have been known to help in cases like this. I suggest you start using the #4 item, "Take Ownership" link.

1.) Try it in Safe Mode first.
2.) Next, see if you can rename the file so that you change the extension to something that will release it from whatever has it locked; use .txt for example. Then try manipulating it afterward. If it works, then you can change the name back if you just wanted it moved.
3.) If no joy, get MoveOnBoot . Install it. It's a small freeware program that has the power to Delete, Copy, or Rename a file or group of files when you reboot and it's inactive. There are several ways to use it, here are some examples:
Run it to do the copy first to the folder of your choice and then run it again to do a delete if you wish. OR run it and rename the file and you may be able to manipulate it as you please with drag/drop etc. Then you can rename it with the right click and you'll be set. Try different methods as you prefer depending on your goal. It works on Folders as well as files but only by using the drag/drop into the main program screen.
4.) If still no joy, try taking ownership of the file. To do that follow the instructions given here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421
5.) If still no joy, create a new administrator account and log off your present account and log into it. Then try moving the file onto the desktop of this new account. Then log off and go back to your original account. That may get the file to an inactive state so you can manipulate it from the new location while logged to the old identity. If you just want to delete it, then delete the old account and all files that it contains.
6.) If still no joy, run Task Manager and do an "End Process" on explorer.exe. The Desktop shell will disappear. This usually releases most problem files from whatever has a grasp on them. You'll have to use the toolbar menu of Task Manager to do your work and when you're finished, you can use the File > New Task(run) to start explorer.exe back up again and get the Desktop shell running again. If you run into difficulty getting explorer.exe back up, just click Shutdown > Restart and you'll get it all back.
Note:
On Windows NT/2000/XP:
Open Windows Task Manager. Press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC and click the Processes tab.
In the list of running programs, select EXPLORER.EXE.
Right-click EXPLORER.EXE and click End Process Tree.
On Windows 9x/ME:
Download and install a third-party process viewer like Process Explorer.
Run process viewer,
In the list of running programs, select and terminate the process EXPLORER.EXE.
Close the process viewer.

7.) Run a "Process Detector" software that will give some information on what program has the data that you need to manipulate locked and disable it.
8.) If you have a FAT32 file storage system, boot to a dos boot disk and you can use ordinary dos commands to manipulate the files or folders.
9.) If you have a NTFS file storage system, boot to the install CD and invoke the Recovery Console. Use the command line mode provided to delete the file.
10.) Go to the command prompt in the start menu and type CHKDSK /F.
The system will usually tell you that the action will take place on reboot.
Once the chkdsk is run, the file ACL (access control list) is reset and you should be able to change file / folder properties or delete the file / folder.
NOTE: Some viruses, and programs will relock the files by setting garbage in the ACL soon after booting, so be quick.
11.) Try using WhoLockMe (freeware) to determine what has the files or folder locked.
Note. I'll stop short of recommending that you use a 3rd party tool to convert your system from NTFS to FAT32 in order to be able to manipulate files from a dos prompt but it IS worth mentioning in passing for EXTREME cases.
That's an old list and I should add some new solutions to it, such as using a PE boot CD such as A BartPE or a Linux Live CD. Also booting to the Recovery Console or a Vista Repair CD could work. The Vista Repair CD will allow command line access to an XP system.

Hi, it seems that you will have to take the ownership of the folder in order to delete them. Do the following simple steps and let us know if it worked for you:
- Right click on the folder that you want to delete
- Clcik on properties
- Clcik on the security tab
- Click on advanced on the bottom right
- Click on the owner tab
- Select you user name from the list, if your name is not available, click on check names and then find your name.
- Click apply/ok on the windows
- Try to delete the folders

All the best!!!
iYogi - Good Karma!!!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online