1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Backup from C: not the same size on external J:

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by nubie76, Nov 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nubie76

nubie76 Thread Starter

Not sure why a common practice has gone sideways. For years I simply backup a large folder including organized documents, music, and pictures to an external Seagate expansion drive (J:) using drag and drop in windows explorer. I always review properties after backing up to make sure that the file sizes are the same. Last June I purchased a 2nd external Seagate expansion drive (K:) that will be kept offsite and have made four back ups on it since then. I made a back up on the J: no problem and then on the K: which turned out to be 87 GB. My folder on the C: is 121 GB. After some googling I downloaded a SeaTools for Windows and received a not less or equal stop code twice. Then I purchased EaseUS Todo software and performed the same back up from the C: to the K: and got the 87GB again, then on the J: as well. Then tried a back up from the Windows 10 settings to the K: and got 120GB.
    All drives have loads of space left, J: is 3TB and K: is 5TB. This has always been a pretty simple process, so I am assuming there is something about Windows 10 which is different. Computer is barely 3 years old and I think it was upgraded to 10 in the first quarter. If someone could please point me in the right direction I would be very grateful.

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Could be a difference in how the drive was formatted originally. NTFS allows you to change sector sizes when formatting. So one drive could have been formatted with a smaller sector size, which would result in less space taken up when storing small files like documents.

3. nubie76

nubie76 Thread Starter

This is from the Seagate website:
    "Your Backup Plus Desktop is formatted as NTFS for compatibility with Windows out of the box. Therfore, you can connect Backup Plus Desktop to a Windows PC without formatting the hard drive."
    I have no knowledge of partitions or sector size so I have never modified the hard drive. How would I determine the sector size of a hard drive?

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

Actually, I quess that difference caused by sector size would not account for several GB's difference. You can see what I am talking about when you right click on a folder and choose Properties.
    There is a Size measurement and Size on Disk measurement.

5. nubie76

nubie76 Thread Starter

Finally changed my google search to "windows file properties" and found that this is a known problem with Windows 10 version 1803. It prevents the correct file size from being shown consistently. There seems to be some questions as to path size causing it, but its basically another Microsoft glitch which now prevents people from even seeing the correct size of their available hard drive disk space. You wouldnt notice it unless you were doing a backup and comparing file size afterwards. Users are using treesizefree to be able to read the correct size of a file. Apparently Microsoft has not been able to fix it yet. I have wasted hours of time thinking my seagate was not backing up correctly.

6. lunarlander

lunarlander

Glad you found your answer

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1219663

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice