1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Backup Hardware

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Geri41, Jan 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Geri41

Geri41 Thread Starter

I want to purchase some type of hardware to install on my computer that will enable me to backup certain programs only.
    I do a lot of genealogy research and have several thousand family names and their background history as well as thousands of family pictures. If I should loose all of this most of it could never be recovered. I have read (online) about CD R-W's and am not sure this is what I need. Recording music is not of interest to us. We have Windows 98-1st edition.
    1. Can you tell me what type of equipment I need to purchase?
    2. Can you recommend brands?
    3. Will my husband and I be able to install it ourselves or should we pay a technican to install it for us? By this I mean, is it something only a trained person should do?

Thank you for your advice!:confused:

2. supertech

supertech

rw means read write which is an excellent way to back up your files to put them on a cd its not just for music it works for data also .and yes if the data on yoour computer is valuble then let a pro do it for you ......then you can hold him liable for any loss............i think phillips developd this technology but maybe them or yamaha would be my recomendation:cool:

3. Marturo

Marturo Guest

This may be along somwhat different format lines however I am working on transfering thousands of family pictures to CD-Rs. They (The Pictures) will come to me as pictures, slides, and negatives. When I am done all the pictures will of course be put on CD-Rs for family members. I will do all my work, on ZIP Disks so that I can change and rearange them into order. Then after everything is in order I will put them on CD-Rs. I have a 250MB ZIP Drive and when it comes time to store all my work, I will allways choose the case protected ZIP Disk over the easily damaged CDs. ZIP Disks also can be tested easily to warn you if you need to copy all files over to a new ZIP Disk because any type of media can start to go bad, so this is a plus for ZIPs. CDs are fine to use for giving to family members because they hold a lot of MBs, but If you want to make sure that your work is safe and protected forever, I trust the cover protected media that a ZIP Disk has to offer. I have also read where CD-RWs may not always be compatable between different Computers CD-ROMs. JAZZ Drives are also another option although quite a bit more expensive. My ZIP drive is an external 250MB USB. It is portable and will work on any Computer with a USB port, today most computers will have a USB port. Try http://www.iomega.com for more information on Drives and media. Marturo

4. Geri41

Geri41 Thread Starter

Thank you very much! I believe the ZIP drive will do the job for us.

5. supertech

supertech

if the size of the zip file is only 250 mb you should check the file size of just one of those photos you are going to be backing up this maybe satisfactory for text files but will prove to be somewhat inadequate for your needs.......you can put a whole lot more info on one of thoses cd,s

6. Geri41

Geri41 Thread Starter

Are you saying I need something other than a Zip drive to backup my photo's on? How do I find out how much space the photo's are taking?

7. supertech

supertech

well im thinking you could go into propertys and check the propertys file for the photo.but i guess im wrong about that, the zip is a format that compresses files and will store a good bit of info.but i think if it were me and i was going to have to buy something for storage i would get the cd burner because it still has way more storage capacity.you could just back up files on floppy disc if you choose and you already have that capability.the zip will hold more then the floppy and the cd will hold more then the zip:D

8. Marturo

Marturo Guest

Hi Geri
    We have a lot of work ahead of us, to say the least. I have to think about pictures, Slides & negatives that have deteriorated to certian stages and how to recover them. I will be using Paint Shop Pro to correct the images faults. I have had to learn the different video files, .jpg, .tiff, .bmp, .gif & which ones that can be turned into a thumbnail. I don't have time to reinvent the wheel on electronic media. Any type (with the exception of the 3.5" 1.44MB Diskette) of case protected media will provide superior protection over a non encased media like CDs. A ZIP Disk (100mb & 250mb) can be re-edited, as can a CD-RW. A ZIP Disk can have the contents,( Pictures & Text ) compressed providing greater capacity, a CD-RW cannot. A ZIP Disk will preform well in any other ZIP Drives, a CD-RW (not the CD-Rs), may not work in all other CD-ROMs. When I looked at the small amount of MBs I would save comparing a compressed ZIP Disk, to the uncertinty of the compatibilty, with the CD-RWs & no case protection it was easy to choose the 250MB ZIP Disk. The Zip Disk has been around for a long time, and they were/are used in critical Office backups, this is more important, considering what the treasures are that I am working with. I read an article the other day about the 3.5" Diskette and how every time you use one, always make a copy or back-up right away. It is because the 1.44 MB disk holds so little that the MFRs of electronic medias build them cheap to sell them cheap, so we have to make two just to be sure of getting one. The Imation CD-Rs cost 50 cents ea. in a 25 pak, while an Iomega 250MB ZIP Disk is $10.00 in a 5 Pak. If I did not have a CD-RW Drive, but had a good friend with one and a USB Port, then you have a way to transfer your files from ZIP to CD-R. There are shops that offer this transfer to CDs also. I need to send CD-Rs to all family members but I would feel better if the Masters were on Compressed ZIP Disks. I would recommend that you did some research into, Old Picture recovery, the benifits of using the PDF format over Text format. Join ZDnet at http://www.zdnet.com you can find a lot of good information on what we are doing, you will also find free and shareware software programs, that can make some parts of this job easier. Good luck to you in your adventure. Marturo

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65510

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice