Solved Backup hd's

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Dennisjf12

Dennis
why can't I use an internal drive for back-ups
Everyone keeps saying, is a bad idea because of a power surge, fire or flood. If I am making a backup all the time as I should be & connected to my computer all the time as I should be any one of the three
( Fire, flood or power surge ) it could still happen to me no matter if it is an internal or external drive? correct?
I am going to build a computer.
please tell why else and what are the preferred internal drives or external drives you recommend.
Thank you, Dennis

plodr

Liz
why can't I use an internal drive for back-ups
You can if you are willing to risk losing all your files. What happens if your hard drive dies? Your backups are useless.

My husband and I store very few files on the computers. I have at least 2 copies of all important files usually stored on 2 different mediums (USB sticks, sd cards, CDs/DVDs) . I also store backups on 7 external portable hard drives. I rotate the drives so if one external dies, I still have an image that is probably no older than 4 - 8 weeks old.

Johnny b

John
I'm with Liz .

I have multiple backup plans.
All are external.
None are on till I want to backup.

I prefer WD hard drives, but the reality is there is a percentage in all makes and models that fail early. Some less than others.
I've had better results in that regard with WDs.

Some members have posted an internal drive in a universal enclosure is often more durable.
There might be something to that, but my experience wit WD externals is good.
With Seagate externals, not so good.

Just to show how HD life can vary, I handed off a 14 year old Acer computer to my sister with the original Hitachi hard drive that still shows 100% SMART health.
I had a Seagate external drive that only made it past the 1 year warranty. Total failure. Click of death. ( Actually the Thump of Death lol )
It's enclosure now houses a WD internal drive .

managed

Allan
You can use a separate internal hard drive for storing backups. It will probably will be more reliable than an external one which have extra electronics that could fail.

Johnny b

John
And it is easy to bump an external drive at the worst time....when it's on.
But if disaster strikes your home/office, anything in that room is at risk.
Less risk if that external is kept in a safe or secure location.

Dennisjf12

Dennis
Thank you all for your help, When I build my computer I am going to use an internal Hard drive as my back up. Thank you again, Dennis

Johnny b

John
(y)

Everyone has variations on a theme.
The point of a backup is to 'have' a plan.

Oddba11

Jim
I store the last few backups on a dedicated internal drive. The internal drive, is copied onto an external drive.

The main problem with only relying on an internal drive, is if there is a computer fault such as a power surge, which destroys both drives.

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Western Digital black series HDDs have a 5yr warranty because they’re made better.
I build my own externals by getting an enclosure then installing a WD Black HDD.
You don’t know what you’re getting in pre-builts.

If you take a pre-built apart to get to the HDD … You void the warranty.
If you send pre-built back for warranty … Do you get your data back ???

This is my Favorite external enclosure because it has a front panel power switch ....
It's only ON when I turn it On

My OS (Only) is in a SSD and all my Data (or working files) are in my Main Internal HDD.
And I have a Second internal HDD to backup my Main HDD.
Then I have a Third HDD in an external HDD enclosure.

How many SATA ports on you MOBO ??

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online