1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Backup Help Please

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by CuttingCrew, Dec 7, 2017.

Advertisement
  1. CuttingCrew

CuttingCrew Thread Starter

I'm a full time photographer and I religiously back up my photographic work. I ashamed to say I do not do the same with my PC and after a recent scare with Windows 10 not updating properly, I now realise backups are something I must do.

Can anyone please advise which, if any products to go for. I've looked at Acronis and a few similar programmes.

Any help or advice would be most appreciated.

2. Sponsor

3. texasbullet

texasbullet

You can install another HDD in your desktop computer or an external HDD and store all your pictures in there including any important documents, music, etc in there.

4. CuttingCrew

Thanks for the reply. I should have added I already have two external hard drives for my photographic stuff and I've bought a new external hard drive ready for the PC backups. It's mainly advice on what programme/software is best/easiest to use and how do I make a bootable disc which seems to be mentioned in all the threads I've read so far.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

I've successfully used Macrium Reflect Free for years in Windows XP through 8.1. Many others have used and recommend Easeus Todo Backup Free. I assume they both work with Windows 10.

With Macrium you are prompted to create a bootable disk and are led through the steps to do so.

6. CuttingCrew

Thanks for the reply Terry, really appreciated. Can I ask, with both Macrium and Easeus, do they copy the whole system or just files? I'm looking for the simplest way to replace stuff if I ever have a problem.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

They make an image of whatever partition(s) you specify. I monthly (approx.) make a backup of the partition that Windows terms the "C: drive" and whatever other partitions are necessary to fully restore a bootable system. Several times I have re-imaged using one of these backups. This process can be thought of as a time machine--send the computer (that is, the backed up partitions) back to exactly how it was at the time the image was made.

I have also grabbed a file or two from the image, but note that you need to do this with Macrium (can't speak for Easeus) and not just a simple File Explorer copy. Since I already have Macrium installed that is not a problem for me.

8. CuttingCrew

Thanks again for all the help Terry, it is really appreciated.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

You're welcome. :)

By the way, many people recommend Acronis. Macrium was the first I tried, and since it has done the job for me I haven't been motivated to try anything else.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1200726