Backup Names

Space Cowboy

Ok,
I'm running out of idea's so I'm gonna go fishing here for suggestions ;)

I create a image file using Norton Ghost every Friday night of my Main Hard Drive.

I have 2 swap hard drives that I rotate every week, where the image's are stored.

I am not sure how many image files I should save but have plenty of space so that's not the issue.

The problem is what do I name them? They automatically get the current date so that would be redundant.

Here is what I've been naming them so far.

1) Raptor.gho
2) Saturday.gho
3) Today.gho
4) Friday.gho

I'd like some kind of Name for the files that would make sense and make it easy to see what's going on and maybe even follow some sort of pattern?

Anybody?

Thanks
Cowboy

angelize56

Always remembered in our hearts
How about naming each file Ghost...followed by the date saved....like Ghost624....then Ghost71....etc......;)

Why create multiple images? seems like a waste of time and space. I only create an image of a fresh install of Windoze and all the apps I normally use and only make one image period. Ghosting isn't really an effective backup method anyway. You would be better served using a CD-RW and doing backups of your data files and have your Ghost image handy on DVD if your OS ever craps out.

angelize56

Space Cowboy said:
I am not sure how many image files I should save but have plenty of space so that's not the issue.
Rockn said:
seems like a waste of time and space
Not to him...so....what do you recommend he name the files! ;)

Space Cowboy

With my current hardware and backup strategy Ghost works out well for me. I use Ghost 2003 which consists of 1 floppy so it's a no brainer and I can do it while I'm takin a shower. I constantly clone my data and personal stuff to the swap drive of the week (There are 2 a 120gb[$29.95] and 160gb[$29.95] WD 7200 rpm). I keep one in the safe and one in the computer. Then swap after makin a ghost image. But On friday do a ghost of the whole shebang. I can recover with a ghost in 10 min. and be right back where I was a few day's ago. With the amount of tweakin and hackin I do .. I need it :eek:

I got this nice dual burner DVD thingamajig .. But I've only burned CD's so far? Just haven't felt the need to mess with it yet :confused:

I like your suggestion Angel .. The thing is .. I'm kinda embarrassed but .. when I boot up with the floppy I don't have the windows clock so I can never remember the date :eek: I guess I could invest in a calender (y)

P.S. .. Angel ?? Did you get that wav file I posted for you in random HERE?

angelize56

Hi SC: :D The wav was funny! Kind of sounds like the Spurs the first game in the finals against my PISTONS! ;) :D

Thanks about my suggestion! ;) You shouldn't need a calendar..just count 7 days ahead from the last file you saved if it's every Friday! ;) :D

Hacking OOOOOKKKKKK! I am sure your ISP would find this interesting. Yea, sure I believe ya...;)

Space Cowboy

Hacker is a term used to describe different types of computer experts. The media and the general populace typically use the term to mean "computer criminal"; however, in many computer subcultures it simply means "clever programmer", with no connotation of computer security skill. It is also sometimes extended to mean any kind of expert, especially one who has particularly detailed knowledge or cleverly circumvents limits.

In an apparently separate usage, "hacker" also has a musical connotation as well. In small combos, and in middle school, high school, and college jazz band classes all over the English-speaking world, "hacker" means either a musician who plays out of turn or simply a musician who shows off constantly. This article does not discuss this definition further.
Now come on Rockn .. Give me some idea's.. I know you got it in ya .. I'm to darn lazy to add 7 days to the last backup. And how will I figure that out if it's like the 28th? 28 + 7 = 35?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online