1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

backup options

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Dougj, Apr 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dougj

Dougj Thread Starter

This question is for anyone that may have seen something in their computer travels that may help me solve a problem. I am dealing with a piece of unix based communications h/w and s/w that normally backs up to 2.5GB tapes. Since it takes 5 or 6 tapes and 15 hours to fully back up the system I am looking for a device that would interface with the existing tape drive but output to a large capacity, reliable alternative storage media ( ie scsi HDD ).

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

D.

2. raybro

raybro

I've no experience with Unix (is that the same or similar to Linux?), but you may want to take a look at Norton Ghost. They say in their manual it's compatible with Linux, tape and SCSI. I'm sure it will take some studying to understand how to use it (IF you can use it)

If you are interested, look Here. There is also a Corporate version that may have capabilities not contained in the standard version.

HTH :D

3. Dougj

Dougj Thread Starter

thanx much for the input Raybro. I am however at this time looking more for the actual h/w that I can use to interface from the extisting tape drive to the alternative backup device that will in turn hold the entire 14GB o/s that I need to backup.

doug

4. storage_man

storage_man

Dougj

You may want to look at a DLT solution. The DLT4000 and DLT7000 drives are SCSI attached, Hold approximately 20gb and 35gb per cartridge respectively and will write data in excess of 5 megabytes per second. I'm sure there is even newer solutions, but you should be able to pick up a used DLT4000 for less than $500 today. The media prices were less than $35 per cartridge 10 years ago. DLT's are still in wide use today. Search the web you should find some hits.

Storage_man

5. raybro

raybro

Hi again Dougj. Yeah, I got that after reading your post again. Gotta remember to read the question again before I hit the Submit Reply button. :D

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217472

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice