1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

backup, partition, restore, oh my!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Aakanaar, Jul 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Aakanaar

Aakanaar Thread Starter

To begin with, I have a Comtia A+ Ceritification, and am attending college classes to earn my Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE) certs.

Ok, I am trying to figgure out the best way to go here.

Currently, what I have is two hard drives partitioned as follows.
    [​IMG]

Disk 0
    152.66 GB total
    102 MB Boot Partition Linux FS (File System) - has Boot Loader on it.
    50.79 GB System partition, NTFS - has Windows XP Home (26.1 GB free)
    58.59 GB Unknown, Linux FS
    2.00 GB Unknown, Linux
    41.18 GB Free space (Unformatted.)

Disk 1
    57.27 GB Total
    37.67 GB NTFS - Contains Data (including install apps for most of my applications). (25.7 GB free)
    19.60 GB Fat32 - Used for System Restore Only (19.5 GB free)

Now.. The reason for the 102 MB boot partition, was originally I couldn't get the dual boot to Linux Redhad Fedora with it being so far into the drive. So I had to supply a small boot partition at the beginning of the drive to dual boot.

I need to remove the linux, recover that 102 MB into my Drive C. Upon recommendations from my brother, I probably will also remove the 60 GB drive and put in a 200 GB drive (though I don't need the space off hand.)

Along with this, I also need to setup a partition to recieve a 180 day evaluation version of Windows Server 2003 to play with while taking the associated class at college for my MCSE certifications. This will include Active Directory and several other services.

I am thinking of creating two 20 GB partitions on the 200 GB drive, for XP Home and Server 2003, and then using the remainder of the drives for data and applications.

All of this, I would like to do with a minimum of data loss. I don't want to have to re-install all my apps.

What I am thinking of doing is finding a free backup utility to back up the C drive to another partition so that I could restore it. But I'd like to find one that didn't require me to install the OS to run a restore.

I was wondering if anyone could suggest a method to make this as easy as possible?

2. unbidden

unbidden

Free ghosting program: http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Back-Up-and-Recovery/DrvImagerXP.shtml

Just a suggestion; you have plenty of hard drives. Install a slide tray in your computer and so you can play with Windows Server and not risk any system crashes that may cause loss of data. Of course a seperate machine would be even better if you have the parts to build one. Being that it is a server, you wouldn't need a very high end set up.

Example of slide tray:http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=394215&CatId=285

3. Aakanaar

Aakanaar Thread Starter

I decided, since I am not using all of my space currently and am about to free up even more space, that I will not install the 200 gb drive we have, and we'll find a use for it in the future, such as when we get to building a third computer.

As for building a light weight computer for server 2003, that was our original plan, but due to lack of funding right now, we're forced to hold off on that. So I'll use a second partition on my 160 gb drive for it for now. It doesn't need to run all the time and will only be running when we play around with it.

Now, a question on that partition imaging software. I was looking at that, and thinking it would work well, except a couple things. Does it include something that I can put on a boot diskette to restore with, or perhaps it creates a boot diskette to use for restoring?

Also, when I think imaging, I think whole drive imaging, wich means it would restore the linux partitions as well. This appears to image only the partition and not the whole drive. But would it restore to a partition that's a different (larger) size from the original? Would it restore the the same sectors, and leave that 102 MB boot partition in the front that I want to be rid of?

4. Aakanaar

Aakanaar Thread Starter

Another question is, the system restores that I have on drive F. Do they include programs and all other files for me to restore from? If so, I may not need to do a backup, as there may be one already in place.

5. unbidden

unbidden

I used this program once a few years back, an older version I believe and it worked well. But I only used it to clone my storage drive X: From reading the tutorial I linked below, you apparently can't clone the drive which contains the Operating System; so it's looking like you may have to purchase a full fledged drive imager. I did a little research as to users and what programs they prefer for drive imaging. Acronis seems to be a favorite of many as it's easier and faster than Norton Ghost. You can download it at NewEgg for $30.

Here is a brief tutorial on DrvImagerXP 2.2.

As far as you question on the System Restores (F), I can only assume that these files would be 'cloned' as well.

=================

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!