backup problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bjc90278

I have been told by my isp's tech guy that I probably have a dns error and will have to reload Win 98 -but that's a whole other problem. On my way to dealing with that issue, I ran into a backup error. I have a fairly new external 30 gig hard drive and
I was going to use that to backup my 6 gig and 10 gig internal hard drives.

Here's the problem - about halfway through the backup, I got an error message which said: "This media is part of the current backup and cannot be overwritten. Please insert another media to continue". Well, I had no idea what this was about because I had checked to backup my c & d drives to my g drive - so the g drive should not have been part of the backup process. Anyway, I inserted a CDRW in the E drive to see if that would solve the problem and clicked on "ok". Well, it wasn't ok - just kept getting the same message and finally had to cancel the backup to get rid of the error screen. I checked the backup log and found this under error: c:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\outcmd.dat - busy

What should I have done?

Part 2 - Assuming sometime in this century I'm able to backup successfully, if I reformat my c drive and reload Win98 - how do I restore without importing what was wrong in the first place?

Can I restore all but the windows folder? I'm a real neophyte at this tech stuff - so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online