1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Backup problems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by My Office, Sep 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. My Office

My Office Thread Starter

Have a disk failure. Badly need to create backup of several files. Mounted drive as a slave on my other computer but it fails to recognize it, although jumper pins are set OK. Hence, can't use Windows to backup stuff. I can backup small files using abridged version of DOS on Emergency Startup disk. However, can't copy files over 1.44 MB to a floppy. Does anyone know of software that will allow a large file to be copied to multiple floppies in DOS??

I'm in a bind. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

:confused:

2. Casey820

Casey820

How are you able to back things up to floppies if Windows doesn't recognize the drive?

Did the drive experience a physical failure, or is it just the operating system that failed? If it's a physical failure, back up software isn't going to help much.

3. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

If you are able to copy the files via DOS to floppies, have you tried copying them to the other HD using that same DOS method while attached as a slave?

And if you are able to copy them, then could your drive failure be the OS? Have you tried a repair (re)installation of the OS...?

What OS?

4. drdrew1469

drdrew1469

If I remember correctly...

What type of partitions are formatted? For example, if you have 9X as master and XP or 2000 as slave, 9X may not recognize the drive if it is NTFS formatted. Just something I thought I'd throw out there.

Hope that helps,

Drew

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/163967

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice