1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Backup questions

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by vette8182, Jan 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vette8182

vette8182 Thread Starter

1. I am looking to backup my computer. I have 2 small internal hard drives. I have seen the program Karen's Replicator and thought about downloading it. I would like to just copy both hard drives entirely. Would I just need an external hard drive? Are there better types of external drives then others (suggestions and why)? One of my internal drives is probably 6 years old and has all of my family vids and pictures. That drive has been formatted erasing all of the data on it (about 3years ago) and then the pics and vids were put on it along with some programs I put on my computer. I have heard the harddrives can crap out so I would like to do this soon.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Karens_Replicator_d3917.html

2. DriverScanner 2009 <------ is this a good idea? does this work with Win. 7
    http://www.liutilities.com/products/campaigns/adv/ds/majorgeeks/txt/

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Easiest to make "images" of the drives. If you need to, you could then boot from the recovery CD and restore the image, restoring the entire drive.

Free Disk Imaging Tools:

EASEUS Todo Backup
    O&O DiskImage Express
    Macrium Reflect
    PING (Partimage Is Not Ghost) (Free alternative to Ghost with more features)
    Paragon Drive Backup Express
    Drive Image XML
    G4U - Ghost For Unix (Platform-independent, floppy or CD)
    DiscWizard (For Seagate or Maxtor drives - contains reduced version of Acronis)

------------------

DO NOT use any "driver scanners". They make mistakes, messing up your system, and they are unneeded. If you have no problems, don't make things worse by trying to update drivers. They are a scam, just like registry cleaners. They "solve" a non-existent problem.

3. Hughv

Hughv

Don't forget online and optical media backup as well.
    Picasa web gallery and MS Sky drive are free, with large amounts of storage.
    Any quality external drive is OK. Tiger Direct has a huge selection, and many have user reviews:
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_tlc.asp?CatId=136
    You have a legitimate concern about your 6 year old drive, so do something soon.

4. raybro

raybro

I strongly suggest the external enclosure and a large HDD approach to backup using Acronis True Image as the software program. I've been using it for a number of years with outstanding performance everytime I've needed it. It the most versatile backup program around. It creates a compressed image of each partition on each drive which can be restored individually or collectively with one simple process. You can boot into Acronis with a CD, flash drive, or, as I have done, directly from the external hard drive. With Acronis, one can also retrieve individual files from the stored image. A really complete program. Acronis 2010 is available form Amazon for $34.50

Another advantage to an external drive, If you have files which change periodically in content (like a journal or study document), those files can be updated (synchronized) automatically at intervals set by you using a free program called SyncBack. This would be a separate action from the Acronis backup image.

Raybro

5. vette8182

vette8182 Thread Starter

my biggest concern would be that my older hard drive might die completely on me and become unusable (I dont know what the chances of that happening) requiring me to get a new hard dirve. If I just have an image stored on a boot, would that me that I have lost the important items forever? Or, does the image allow me to recover all my data to a new hard drive?

6. Masta Squidge

Masta Squidge

The recovery is only as fresh as the last backup. Ghosting the drive to a DVD obviously isnt enough these days, so doing a once a week backup certainly isnt that horrible. Especially if the software can be set to automatically do it.

Then throughout the week if you update any files you are working on or whatever i think you can use a briefcase to automatically save two copies. One on the machine, and one automatically saved on the external backup.

7. nick_harris

nick_harris

Hi..

Why not try online backup. Its the safest and easiest way to secure your important computer data. You can access your data from anywhere and at anytime. There are various online backup services available in market now a days.

I am using www.backupandshare.com for my online backup needs. I can backup my mobile data as well.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Restoring the image to a new hard drive resores everything that was on the drive when the image was made.

I have mine scheduled to make an image of my drive twice a week. Acronis will also automatically delete old images (you choose how old) and can consolidate images so that less space is used. Acronis, the retail version of Macrium Reflect, Paragon Drive Backup, and many others can be scheduled so that you don't need to do anything to be sure you always have a good image to restore.

Online backups are good, too, if you have a fast connection. But they require internet access to restore, and servers can fail, too. It would be very difficult to restore an online backup to a machine whose system drive had failed.

9. lagunasrfr

lagunasrfr

Check out the software Elvandil posted above. I use Macrium Reflect. I can make a full 70 gb backup to my external 1 terabyte external HDD in 45 minutes. Then I have the software set up to make an incremental update of changed files every early morning while I'm sleeping. Takes 12 minutes.

You can access files and folders as they were any day they were copied to your external image through Windows Explorer and copy them back to your system.

If you have a complete catastrophe, the backup software provides for a bootable CD that will enable you to restore your complete system as of any date that is on the external image.

1 tb external drives are $100-125.00. Software is inexpensive.

Don't rely on Windows Backup.

10. raybro

raybro

Just to clarify a point... Although Macrium Reflect free version does provide for backup scheduling, it does not have the incremental or differential backups function. Click here to see the comparison chart.

The shareware version, which does provide those functions and more, costs $40.

Raybro

11. vette8182

vette8182 Thread Starter

With a bootable CD, will this allow me to restore my system to a new harddrive if I want to upgrade my hardrive?

12. vette8182

vette8182 Thread Starter

I am also considering building a new system and would like to install windows 7 64 bit. I have windows 7 32 bit installed right now. Can I just boot my drive to a new hardrive and the do a clean install of 64 bit with my windows 7 upgrade CD?

13. raybro

raybro

Using Acronis True Image OR Macrium Reflect (free or shareware version) you can create a recovery CD which will be bootable, create a backup image on external media (like an external HDD), then install a new internal hard drive, boot with the recovery CD and restore the backup image to the new hard drive.

Not clear on what you want to do here, but here is what I think you are asking.

You say you are building a new system and want to install win 7 64 bit. Correct? The drive currently having Win7 32 bit on it... Is that the drive you are discussing in the previous post? If so, you must first determine if the computer is compatible with Win7 64 bit. there are some hardware and software considerations when choosing 32 bit :vs 64 bit. Click here for a Microsoft site which may be of some help.

Raybro

14. vette8182

vette8182 Thread Starter

Yes I will be building a new system with my old drive (I would be using my old computer case with a new motherboard and processor among other hardware). I am trying to avoid some expenses such as having to buy another copy of windows 7. I would like to use windows 7 64bit for the purpose of using more RAM.

15. raybro

raybro

Look into 64 bit drivers for any peripherals you intend to use (printers, scanners, etc). You may also find some current programs which work on a 32 bit system will not run on a 64 bit system.

32 bit :vs 64 bit Win 7 is discussed numerous times on the TSG Win 7 forum. You might want to give it a look before committing yourself to 64 bit.

Raybro

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/891760

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice