1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Backup Recommendations

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by battisti, Oct 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. battisti

battisti Thread Starter

Hi folks,

I'm considering building a new PC that will have a 150 GB fast drive for apps, and a TB drive for data.

With my current system, I've used a combination of Argentum Backup and Acronis TrueImage to back up my files to an external hard drive, but I'm curious as to what a good recommended approach would be to regularly back up my machine and really, really be in a safe position?

Thoughts?

Steve

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

I have my HD split into a system partition (No Data) … and a data partition …
    and only use ATI to backup "Image" my system partition.

I think the key here is to only use ATI to backup a fresh system install .. and only use a full backup, not incremental.

Each time I have to recover, I go back to the last fresh install .. Update it as needed ..
    And make a new backup for the next time.
    It’s a little more work .. but well worth it.

In other words .. I never backup a working system .. You just never know what it’s collected.

My data is backed up in my externals via Copy n Paste as it’s collected or created…
    Along with some new system stuff such as address book, favorites .. etc …

I something like this what you’re asking ???

3. battisti

battisti Thread Starter

Yes, this is the sort of thing I'm looking for.

So, when do you create a new full image of your apps drive? Every time you install a new application? Periodically? After Windows updates?

On the data side, what do you mean, more specifically? You say "data is backed up in my externals". What do you mean "your externals"? External drives? How many of them? How large? Do you keep them on-site, or do you have some sort of system for keeping a copy off-site?

Thanks!

Steve

4. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

I have been thinking about getting a SSD or a 10Krpm drive for my system drive only.
    Then this partition arrangement would resemble what you described.

My first order Data backup is internal .. And the bootable system partition is also a fresh install .. That I may update occasionally.
    This has become more of a tool ... In that I can boot to and perform hardware tests .. or as a backup to my ATI Image backup ..

Attached Files:

5. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

So, when do you create a new full image of your apps drive?
    ONLY .. Every time I perform a system recovery .. right after I've updated it.

I have kept the first two Initial Install "Images" .. and about the last 3 "updated" fresh installs ...
    get it ???

I also have (2) 500 gig externals that hold my Data Backups .. and system Images.
    As I said .. I manually Copy n Paste (Drag n Drop) my data as it's collected or created.

Any data you don't mind loosing .. is data you only have one copy of

6. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Actually .. My next recovery is a HDD setting in an external enclosure ...
    All I do is swap HDDs... update it and Image it.
    then later .. I will rewrite the system partition from the new Image .. for the next time

So I have 3 data backup partitions .. this may be a little overkill .. but I just can't bring myself to eliminate one.
    I never have to work on a data partition unless I have a drive problem.

I may occasionally make a temporary backup of my working system ..
    If I think I'm headed into dangerous territory or have a massive project on my desktop.

Attached Files:

• DM2.gif
      DM2.gif
      File size:
      102.9 KB
      Views:
  7. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

8. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Also ... in addition to backing up my Data ...
    Notice that I can also write (Copy n Paste) to the desktops in the other 2 System partitions.

Every time I update a program (for example) .. I can copy the installer to the other two desktops.

So .. When I boot to another System ...
    Everything I need to update it is setting on the desktop looking at me.
    Kinda like a sticky note to myself .. what's needed .. and the "stuff" to do it with.

I also have 2 other enclosures with WD 1TB greens .. They're great drives for externals

9. battisti

battisti Thread Starter

Mumbodog, so, how do you use these? These are your backup drives? You have some hard drives in your machine, and you back them up to this raid1 external drive?

I think these solutions are getting a little beyond where I need to be. :) I mean, most of the stuff I have that I don't want to lose is personal stuff - photos, etc. Not sure I need to go RAID for that. :)

10. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

The point here was to always try to use a fresh system install .. and only "Image" a fresh system ... without any Data
    There are several ways to do this .. With a little extra updating work needed when you recover.

Nothing fixes or tunes up a computer better than a fresh install.
    Every time I recover .. I can feel the difference.

It only takes me about a half hour to install a new "engine"
    Just backup your Data separately.

11. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

I only have 1 hard drive in my PC, partitioned for XP and Vista currently, I keep important data on the raid enclosure.

Its connected via USB to my PC, Its where I keep all my important data I cannot afford to lose, thats why I use the raid 1 option, data is duplicated on both drives, so even if one drive fails, I still have my data safe and sound, just remove the failed drive and pop in a new one, it will copy the data to the new drive, done!

The raid enclosure shows up in windows as one drive, so when you copy or backup data to it, the raid controller in it will take care of the data being copied to both drives, that is why I like Raid 1, you don't have to copy data to 2 different places, it does it for you effortlessly.

I don't consider data "backed up" unless it is on at least 2 different physical drives.

12. battisti

battisti Thread Starter

Since all of your data is still on-site, you're still susceptible to power failure / flood / fire, right? Is that just acceptable risk for you?

13. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

We all take risks every day, most of the time we don't realize what they are.

Yes its acceptable to me.

Power failure: don't see any risk

Flood: I'm on a second floor and a long way away form any flood potential, besides GOD said he would not do that again!

Fire: tons of smoke detectors with good batteries, besides my pants keys and wallet, its the first thing I grab on the way out (takes about 10 seconds). If I don't make it out, I don't care about the data.

14. Compiler

Compiler

Every once in a while... you make a backup of your data and store it at a family members home or friend. Another option is a safe deposit box.

15. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

That's a more difficult than you think when you have a terabyte or more of backup data.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/865775

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice