1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

backup/recovery disk

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by icemn45, Jan 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. icemn45

icemn45 Thread Starter

i'd like to make a backup / recovery disk for my pc. a failsafe so to speak. i have an e-machines model 2895. it has a 2.8G processor, 512M RAM, 120 G hard drive (about 40% full) windows xp home edition. i don't want to go the external hard drive back-up route. is there any easy / inexpensive way to do this? is norton ghost an option, and if so , is it any good, or are there other/ better ways to go? thx in advance

2. mphair

mphair

by "i don't want to go the external hard drive back-up route." do you mean to say "no extra harddrives?" cause an internal harddrive is an excellent rout to go for backing up. I believe that norton ghost makes an exact copy of one harddrive to another, so you would either need to partition your drive(that's just a guess...partitions might not even work, and for backup reasons it probably isnt the best idea since if the HD dies you'll lose both partitions), or buy a new drive.
    -mphair

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Acronis True Image is a better option than GHOST IMO. You also don't need to allocate a complete partition to your backup, since with either product you can backup the bootable partition/drive to a compressed image file. FWIW, I believe the external disk is the superior backup option for several reasons.

When you aren't using it, it can be turned off, thus totally protecting the contents from any possible malware/virus corruption.

If the P/S should fail and take out any internal hard disks, you'd still have your backup.

USB/Firewire disks are portable, so you can take your backup with you, or use the disk to transfer files to friends/family.

4. icemn45

icemn45 Thread Starter

thx for the quick reply. i just clicked on the acronis link, and it looks great. just what i need / want. but i alaso see ur point with the external disk being superior. are there any usb/firewire disks you can recommend? this is something i'd like to do asap. thankyou again.

5. JohnWill

What I do when I want an external disk is buy an enclosure and stick a standard IDE drive into it, it's cheaper. Here's a sample of what I'm talking about: http://www.dealsonic.com/stpmidetousb.html

Also, www.newegg.com usually has Acronis True Image for around $30 for a downloaded purchase, just search on Acronis.

6. icemn45

icemn45 Thread Starter

this looks like an excellent plan at the right price. you've covered all the angles. THANKYOU for the quick reply and all of the information.:)

7. JohnWill

You're welcome. :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436987

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice