1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

backup/restore

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nichos, Nov 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nichos

nichos Thread Starter

Backed up my Maxtor 160gb Sata HD with Macrium Reflex & as a test I tried to restore the "C" 37gb partition first on a Maxtor PATA 80gb HD then on WD 80gb SATA HD.

All went fine but neither restore HD will boot.

Goes up to the MS XP logo, the dashes go back & forth then the sequence repeats.

Tried Macrium Reflect Restore CD, UBDC, BartPE, Paragon recover CD & in desperation Maxplus 4 CD hoping their restore MBR, Boot.ini etc repairs may help but with no avail.

Is this backup/restore caper a gimmick or am I doing something wrong.
    Thank you

2. Sponsor

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I have found if you want just a basic restore of an entire drive, macrium works OK however if you are going to restore partitions to different drives, etc, then go with acronis true image. Acronis is not free however most of the time, you get what you pay for and in this case you do.

4. nichos

nichos Thread Starter

Thanx,

so do you think that it failed because I backed up the whole 160gb HD & only restored "C" 37gb partition on an 80gb HD.

If that would be the case then I'l backup/restore only C 37gb.

I understand the get what you pay but, as an OAP cannot buy software.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I have not used macrium much however my understanding is you can restore to the same hardware however when you try to restore to dissimilar hardware, you have problems. The reason it did not work is that you did not restore the mbr or master boot record along with the boot files that reside in the root of the boot drive. You simply restored a partition.

6. nichos

nichos Thread Starter

As per screenshots the Paragon one clearly states you can include the MBR in the backup, see 1st shot.

The second one Reflect only shows the choice during restore see 3rd shot.

As regards to your "...boot record along with the boot files that reside in the root of the boot drive...."

I chose in Paragon the "recomended" MBR that came with the back, & in Reflect I chose "YES" thinking that the MBR in the backup will be used, 3rd shot again.

Attached Files:

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

As I said you get what you pay for. If you are serious about backups/data, then you use acronis. End of story. I have used it for many years [since ver 5] and it just works.

If you want to continue to use macrium, it may work or it may not; it is up to you. How much are your backups and the ability to restore to dissimilar hardware worth to you?

8. nichos

nichos Thread Starter

Fair comment, just have to stay with saving valuables on CD/DVD/spare HD & winstall XP & programs again if necessary.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/962225