1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Backup Software Recommendation

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Seattle Paul, Apr 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seattle Paul

Seattle Paul Thread Starter

Hi,

We have two different Windows servers with 3 different tape drives and all have had similar failures during the backups. The only common denominator has been the backup software (whose name I do not recall). IBM (who has supplied all the hardware) suggested using a different backup application that is supported by IBM.

IBM's suggestion was to make our choice of one of the following.

Veritas NetBackup 4.5
    Veritas Backup Exec. NT 8.6
    BrightStor ARCserve Backup v9 (formerly ArServe 2000)

Do any of you have some experience with these particular programs? If so,
    what do you recommend.

Our System Administrator has just bailed, so ease of use is an issue.

Thanks,

Paul
    __

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Paul,

I've used all three and just tended to prefer the Veritas software.

However, since a lot of customers were also experiencing a high level of tape drive failures (one company had three fail within a year), I've been using alternatives like backing up to removable IDE or USB drives.

You typically don't need any software at all, it is much faster and more reliable than tape and much easier to recover from (which is the whole point it backing up in the first place).

3. jhb04

jhb04

DO NOT USE BRIGHTSTOR ARCSERVE!! If there is another option, I'd go for that as opposed to the Arcserve, to be blunt - it's crap.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/220138

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice