1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Backup Software Recommendations-Again!

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by pradhan, Apr 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pradhan

pradhan Thread Starter

I know this question gets asked quite regularly, as I have searched the forums for answers...but it seems to be required with each new operating system/software release (so forgive the repetitiveness).

For Windows 7, can anyone recommend a reliable image/backup/recovery software.
    In the past, I have used:
    • Ghost 14: Regularly produces huge backups and fails when there are multiple users on one computer.
    • Acronis: 2009: Happy with this, but does not support W7. Acronis 2010 has gotten horrible reviews.

So, can anyone recommend a good image/recovery software?

Thanks,
    Pradhan

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

Windows 7 has a system imaging and backup function in the control panel.
    Start/control panel/backup and restore.
    Also gives the option to create the system recovery disk,although
    the windows 7 install disk can also be used to restore the image.

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

Acronis 2010 isn't horrible it's just that the interface is somewhat difficult to remember and illogical. I have been using a program called Perfect Image lately by Avanquest (new name of old established V-Com) which does all the functions in an easy to use program.

4. MowermanEd

MowermanEd

5. helpful

helpful

I am probably in a minority on this forum, but I still think Symantec ghost is king.

If your backups are failing you may wish to examine the event viewer for clues. Some anti virus products interfere with backup software, if available you should put in an exclusion for the backup process name and see if that resolves your issues.

You can also contact symantec for assistance.

http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/contact/contact.jsp

Your backup size could be large because your backup job by default is including files that are not needed to be backed up.

Therefore you should examine the backup job(s) and delete any files or folder that should not be backed up from the list and maybe refine the backup schedule.

For instance have a schedule for the really important files to be backed up daily, while the less important files are backed up once a week.

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

The real Ghost has been gone for about 5 years since Symantec bought Power Quest and simply absorbed Drive Image in poace of their Ghost program. Personally I have found it takes longer and the interface is really confusing.

7. pradhan

pradhan Thread Starter

Ghost fails for me in a number of places...
    1: I have one system which is a multi-user system...a number of people log-on. Heaven forbid if ghost starts a back-up while someone is logged on, and then that person logs off. All hell breaks loose! Ghost fails to run next time, Ghost fails to find the backup drive...it gets crazy.
    2: It really does a poor job of monitoring the backups. It does not consolidate the backups based on its schedule. It (too often) produces HUGE backup files, not scheduled.

I found Acronis 2009 works much better for XP. I would have automatically upgraded to Ac2010 for W7 were it not for the night-marish complaints that I have read in multiple locations for this product, which is what prompted my original question.

And unlike "helpful", I find Symantec's tech support not very useful at all. They have never once solved a problem I have had, including with Ghost 14.

Sorry, I vote "nay" on Ghost.

8. pradhan

pradhan Thread Starter

Looks interesting. Does it offer any sort of disaster recovery, you know, for a suddenly unbootable windows hard drive?

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

Do you mean Perfect Image? Well Rescue Cd is there with a full environment much like all the others. Is that what you mean?
    I have another problem with Ghost in that 14.0, the last one I used did not automatically restore with the Mbr and the option to do so was difficyult to find as I remember which is one of the reasons I walked away from it.

10. pradhan

pradhan Thread Starter

Sorry I wasn't clear...I was referring to both Perfect Image and Reflect, as regards disaster recovery.

11. sylt

sylt

Maybe this is not what you would want, but I use an external hard drive and never had any problems. Just don't care for CD back ups.
    gardenqueen

12. pradhan

pradhan Thread Starter

I agree. The days of CD backups are long gone. But that was not my issue with Ghost. It kept "losing" that external hard drive, + there were some other issues.

13. Bille1

Bille1

I know there are plenty of suggestions regarding Back up software but.......... There are not many posts in the various Forums about how reliable the restore process is and how to test, are people just backing up and hoping for the best. Some years ago I used Acronis and was happy until I needed it....Guess what it didn't restore properly so I had to start again, luckily the important accounting files were backed up independently of Acronis and could be restored later when I had set up everything and reinstalled all the programs.

Other than backing up your existing HDD, replacing it with a freshly formatted one, then performing a restore there is no way of knowing if it has been restored properly.

Is it possible to backup to an external USB HDD, using (Insert backup program name here) going into the Bios and setting the USB drive as the boot device to see if the backup works?

Or is this just TOO SIMPLE/MUCH to hope for?

I have been backing up to a External USB HDD using the Windows backup in Win7 Pro 64, I can see where the backup is taking space on the backup HDD however the sceptic in me does wonder about the integrity of the data.

Thanks in advance.

14. Rich-M

Rich-M

I have been using Acronis for almost 8 years now and never saw a restore fail unless the hard drive was failing also.
    As for verification, most backup programs including Acronis allow verification when making the image file and also at any time from the program as a task, and also ask if you want to verify the image file before restoring so somehow you missed 3 opportunities to verify your image file. On top of that, making an image file for replacement and then waiting for a real need, is really not what backup programs are for anyway. You need a strategy that includes making image files every so often as well as file and data backup at regular intervals as well. Just simply making one image file and then waiting for need, is a recipe for disaster IMHO.

15. pradhan

pradhan Thread Starter

Agreed. Disaster recovery is different than backup. As regards Acronis, have you used Acronis 2010? With W7?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917648

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice