1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Backup software

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by alwrmc, Apr 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alwrmc

alwrmc Thread Starter

First Name:
    B.L.
    I have a new computer, twin 360gb HDs and I would like to find software (preferably free, but not an absolute must) to allow me to backup my entire system. What I want to do is copy the "C" drive to the "D" drive so that should the "C" drive OS ever fail I can simply copy the entire thing back from the "D" drive. I hope that makes sense. I did a search on the forum, found Elvandils post with a rather long listing of possible software choices. None of them were sufficiently clear in their explanations as to convince me they would do what I want. Would I be better off purchasing Norton Ghost, Or Acronis instead of looking to freeware? Is there anything that will actually do what I would like it to do?

2. mtzlplex

mtzlplex Account Closed

What are the brand names of the hard drives?

3. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe

I use Paragon Drive Backup for this.

4. bkdc

bkdc

You may want to try Cobian Backup , its FREE and an excellent product.

5. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

If you want a full image backup of the computer I would suggest using Acronis. You can get it on Newegg for cheap.

6. smbd

smbd

One more vote for acronis true image, i'm using it for a several years and upgrading since 8_th version. So if any help/suggestion is needed post back.

- buy link

7. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

"Cobian" is excellent for what it does- back up data files. It does not help with system and program files. I use Acronis "TI" for the later, while using "Cobian" for my data file partition. This is added to every day, while "C" is quite static.

8. Stoner

Stoner Banned

I've changed my methods of back up several times and they vary depending on the tasks for that computer.
    I have an off line computer used for family record keeping and financial affairs.
    For it.......I have a master drive with two partitions, OS on the primary partition.
    Only the OS on it.
    All data is written to my documents file that I moved to the second partition.

I also have a slave drive, one partition.
    I use an older backup app called Quicksync3 (no longer available, works on XP, not sure about Vista) set to back up everything , in real time, as it's being saved to file.

I keep the same copy of an Acronis drive image of my OS, on both the slave drive and the second partition of the master drive (paranoia :D )

In addition, I use Karenware's Replicator to back up to a USB external drive and quarterly, I use Nero to again back up to a DVD.

Nothing is ever perfect, but for me, I feel that's the best.

With my online computer, I have a removable hard drive I back up to, but not much of value is stored on it, It's mostly an Acronis drive image of my OS.

If you have a Maxtor or Seagate hard drive attached, even if it's an external USB, there is a free version of Acronis available in Discwizard.
    http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/discwizard

9. alwrmc

alwrmc Thread Starter

First Name:
    B.L.
    For Stoner:.....The whole question is temporarily sidelined at this point. I just spent roughly 4 hours over the past three days online and on the phone with HP. Bottom line I have to ship the computer to a repair facility. The media card reader is dead. I do have a Seagate USB Free Agent 320gb so I will be looking at the DiscWizard software you mentioned. Thanks for all the info folks.

10. JSAM

JSAM

I would also recommend Cobian. You can schedule a daily auto back up. You may also want to consider backing up to an external drive. They're inexpensive and would be accessible even if the power supply on your computer should fail.

JSam

11. Stoner

Stoner Banned

Don't forget to back up your data before you ship it off.
    Techs have been known to reinstall with out saving what you saved.

Also remove any account #s or info you don't want to see used by someone else.

Good luck with the repairs.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699273

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice