1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Backup solution needed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mcseguy9, May 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mcseguy9

mcseguy9 Thread Starter

I'm looking for a simple and inexpensive backup solution for a remote location. They have just over a gigabyte of data that needs to be backed up regularly (at least weekly if not daily). I'm sure the amount of data to be backed up will grow over time. These user's do not have an on-site tech and are not very computer savvy. They're okay, but as simple a solution as possible is what is needed. I'm looking for something that would hang off of a PC, maybe via USB? There are no servers over there, just about six PC's all running Windows 2000 Professional. The data to be backed up is on a single PC. Any ideas?

2. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

An external USB2 Hard drive would be a great solution. It could be partitioned and used for several different machines too if needed. It can easily be taken off-site (as any real back-up should).

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd work out a simple batch file scheme to allow multiple copies of the backup to be on the drive, so you'd have at least a few generations of data.

4. abbyk

abbyk

There are numerous companies doing online backup - im looking into it myself - seems the safest ( potentially ) way to backup. Not very expensive too.

But I have NO personal experience of this method - so anyone who has - please post.

I'll following this thread

abbyk

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/227063