1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Backup Solution Recommendation

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by alexenjen, Jun 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alexenjen

alexenjen Thread Starter

Here's the criteria:

1 x computer to backup.

I would like to use a pull out hard drive media for the backup. Can anybody recommend a simple program to do the backup. I'm currently using Ghost to clone a copy as a backup.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

For backing up an O/S partition, GHOST or another similar image utility is the best choice. I partition my systems so the O/S and installed applications are on a separate partition that I can image. All my data and other files are on other partitions, and I have the flexibility to use any number of backup schemes for those partitions.

Personally, I really like USB 2.0 / Firewire external drives for backup, you can turn the power off, or even take them with you. This not only keeps the data safer than a second drive that's always in the system, but it allows you to access your backups on any machine.

3. coyotehills

coyotehills

I have had good experience using NTI Backup Now from New Tech Infosystems, backups to both CDR and hard drive attended or unattended. If you have not bought your HDD drive as yet - look into and emty box that CompUsa sells which you can put HDD or CD drive into and connect via USB. They are made by Belkin and are cheaper if you have spare HDD around to put in the box, or if you buy a drive off the shelf.

4. alexenjen

alexenjen Thread Starter

can you tell me the exact model of the drive. have you ever tested the backup image from NTI.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I've used a number of this model line of external enclosures, though not this exact USB 2.0/Firewire External Disk Enclosure, and they've all worked very well. I'm currently eyeing this one up, since Firewire tends to be somewhat faster in transfer rate than USB 2.0. I have never run across a standard IDE drive that didn't work in these cases.

6. coyotehills

coyotehills

The case from Belkin is F5U209, on there page $109 at CompUSA $59. I hand a spare HDD around and put in in the case. I do not make image with NTI but make normal backup with NTI, full backup once a week and incremental every night, all unattended. It is the best combo I have found.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/238823

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice