1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

backup solution

Discussion in 'Networking' started by PK-her0, Jun 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PK-her0

PK-her0 Thread Starter

Hello Guys,

i got two offices about 150KM from each other
    i need to backup 10 to 20GB / machine

the data ranges from accounts package to doc files etc...

i suggested a vpn, then backup from one side to the other and vice versa as this ensures backups are swapped over and are off site.

Would you recommend this, or am i better off using a hosted backup service i pay for / GB?

your thoughts please

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

This question is the proverbial...it depends.

First thing about my point of view. I don't like having a third party house any of my data. I'm too paranoid from a security aspect. But I do see the business case for services like this.

You need to assess a few things. First, how big are your internet pipes at both locations? How much total data are you looking to backup initially? What is the rate of data change of this data and how often do you want to do your backups?

Also keep in mind, doing data transfers over a VPN is a good way to keep the data secure in transit but you have to take into account the performance hit you're going to get both in processing through put of your VPN endpoints and the reduced data payload you can send per frame due to the VPN tunnel overhead.

3. PK-her0

PK-her0 Thread Starter

yes zx10guy you are right...i need to investigate a lot more...

but saying the data isnt too much, would you say this is the best thing to do in this scenario?

4. zx10guy

Well as I said, it depends. Saying the data isn't too much doesn't quantify anything. What may be not a lot of data for one group is a lot for another. It's also dependent on the size of your internet pipe, along with the rate of change of your data, and how often you plan to do your back ups. Things I discussed above.

5. valis

valis Moderator

from a business model, off-site backups are, IMO, the best. I work in a domain environment that has roughly a skazillion remote offices, and two HQ's, on opposite sides of the Atlantic. We've got a tape system set up, remote offices send in their weekly fulls to HQ, which then get stored off-site. Sort of a legal issue.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but it sounds as if you are using site A to back-up the data at site B, and vice versa. If that is the case, I'll totally defer to zx10guy.

6. PK-her0

PK-her0 Thread Starter

hey zx10guy...thanks for your input...you too valis

when you say"Also keep in mind, doing data transfers over a VPN is a good way to keep the data secure in transit but you have to take into account the performance hit you're going to get both in processing through put of your VPN endpoints and the reduced data payload you can send per frame due to the VPN tunnel overhead."

yes as the vpn is encrypted..ok...but the rest of the sentence...could you elaborate just a little...please man.

7. Rockn

Rockn

Most backup solutions that go over the wire now offer some sort of encryption so that generally isn't an issue. You may also want to look at something like Unitrends which is what I am using now. You can get a device for each site and replicate between the two and it will also act as an offsite DR in case one site goes down. You do not even need a private network between the two to accomplish this. Compared to a lot of CDP solutions this is a lot less expensive and the features are getting better all the time. They even have vaulting available if you want to replicate your data to their vaulting facility.

I don't think you would not be happy with running any solution over a VPN.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Is this all "new" data? I mean, are you synchronizing so that changes in the data are backed up, or do you actually need to transfer 20 GB every day?

If synching, what do you estimate is that volume?

9. zx10guy

So the phrase, "there is no free lunch", applies here. Let's take the processing comment. Routers and firewalls are basically purpose built computers geared to move and process network traffic. So routers and firewalls have a processor(s) and memory. VPN encryption requires processing so that means CPU cycles.

The next part is the fundamental way networks work. On layer 2, traffic gets moved in chunks called frames. A layer 2 frame contains header and footer information pertaining to the transport mechanism being used: Ethernet, ATM, etc. VPNs require some space in the frame which has a set maximum size to encapsulate the payload. Because the VPN is taking up space in the frame, there is less space to insert actual data. This leads to a whole other discussion around fragmentation.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1000948

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice