1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Backup solution

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by raz, Jan 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. raz

raz Thread Starter

Hiya

I need a cheap Backup solution that can

1. Backup to CDRW
    2. Have a good compression rate eg zip
    3. Run schedule
    4 run full and incremental backups
    5. easy to use

Backup volume currently is 2gb and will not exceed 5gb

for my docs etc

any recomendations

ps someone recommended ntbackup but i'm having probs getting it to write directly to cdrw any ideas to overcome this?

thanks

2. t bone

t bone

alot of people here recomend cobian backup

you'll have to check the faq's to see if it will do all you want, i know that going right to cd is a prob. other than that this app. is a good free one.

here's the faq's on going to cd:
    Q: I am trying to backup to a CD-RW but I get an error that says "Destination directory no found". Why?

A: This program doesn't include a driver to use with a CD burner. That's why you cannot backup directly onto a CD-RW. Backup onto your hard drive and then you can manually burn the backup onto the CD using your favorite burning software. There are some 3rd party programs as Adaptec Direct CD (Direct Write) which can make it possible for Cobian Backup to interact directly with your CD burner. If you have this or other similar software installed, you can backup directly onto your CD. Be aware that Cobian Backup is a multithreaded program and therefore multiple threads may be accessing your CD at the same time. When zipping, the WHOLE zip operation will go on on the destination directory, and your CD may become unreadable or corrupted. The bottom line is : do NOT backup directly into a CD-RW.

3. raz

raz Thread Starter

thanks..i am now rethinking the wole cdrw thing for scheduled backup...is there a better way eg to tape or to another hdd
    cheers
    RAZ

4. t bone

t bone

an external hd is a way you could go..not neccesarily a cheap one depending on your budget.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, external hard disks can be had pretty inexpensively, I see them all the time for peanuts on these bargain pages. You can also pick up an external case and a bare drive and put it together in about 5 minutes.

More Stuff 4 Less

Tech Bargains

Deal News

6. raz

raz Thread Starter

Thanks guys..would a 40gb 2.5 inch HDD with an external case be sufficient..is there any downside to using this over 3.5inch hdds

what about DVDRW's? any thoughts..esp on software
    i looked at cobian and it wasnt right for us..

thanks

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

RW optical media doesn't enjoy a good reputation for relability, it wouldn't be my first choice for backup. A 2.5" enclosure will obviously work, though the cost per gigabyte is considerably less for 3.5" drives. I have a 30gig and a 60gig 2.5" drive for taking stuff on the road, but most of my backups are to much larger 3.5" USB drives.

I'm curious, what about Cobian Backup was "not right" for you? Just curious what you found unsatisfactory.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/438030

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice