1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Backup to CD-RW

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by shockeymoe, Sep 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shockeymoe

shockeymoe Thread Starter

I am buying a CD writer for a very small business office running Win98SE. They currently use a tape backup system which they want to replace with re-writable CDs.
    I want software that allows them to put a CD in the drive and come in to the office the next day with an incremental data-only backup written to the CD. They would take that CD out, put in another CD-RW, and repeat the process.
    I have no experience with rewritable CDs on Win98 so I am wondering about how the CDs get formatted. Does the CD writer come with formatting software? Does the backup program automatically format the CD?
    I want a process that is as slick as possible. Otherwise someone in the office will say "Why are we doing this? Tape was easier!" Thanks for your input.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    you may also want to consider
    1) CD-RW's can easily be overwritten / formatted
    2) The life of CD's is short - so how long would you want to keep the backup.
    (although I have seen lots of aguments that the media will last 10years but the device becomes obsolete quicker :) :) )

3. shockeymoe

What would you suggest as an alternate media type? Tape is out... expensive, not well supported, media easily compromised (magnetism, stretching, etc.). The only alternative I have heard about is an external hard drive or a thumb drive. The thumb drive lacks capacity and the external drive does not lend itself to multiple backups.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    just pointing out the limitations just incase you had data whcih needed to be recoverable in years and years - you may find CD-R will stop the reformat/overwrite however, if this is short term backup then expensive

5. shockeymoe

Yep, short term. But your concerns are duly noted and appreciated.

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  7. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  9. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  10. shockeymoe

Thanks for doing the search job for me. You're making me look lazy! :)
    I think I have all my answers now. I will explore the various backup programs mentioned in these links. I will be buying a Sony CD writer which includes InCD from Ahead software (The Nero people). The user can format some CDs using InCD and then use the backup program to write directly to the CDs. The only writer I have in my life is on my XP Home machine and I don't seem to have the option of creating a CD that immediately writes files. I have to go through 2 steps, move the files onto the CD using windows drag and drop, then write the files to the CD as a separate step. Anyway, thanks for your help etaf, and I will post my final solution here when all is up and running.

11. johnni

johnni

Have a look here in case my contribution to the thread has any bearing on what you want to do. Remember that the initial formatting of CD-RWs takes about half an hour each so it is a good idea to spend some time formatting a collection of them in advance. Bear in mind also that after a lot of use you will get a message (with InCD) to 'backup your data and reformat the disk'; don't ignore it or the data will be unreadable after a time.

12. shockeymoe

Thanks johnni. Great tip on the reformat. When does the message typically pop up? Is it when you insert the disk (please say yes) or when the disk writing is being performed? I imagine you haven't seen the message often but it is a great feature of the formatting software if it works properly. I'm still pricing stuff out so I wonder if the other packet writing software solutions have the same feature. The thread you referenced is interesting and along the same lines. I will likely suggest the USB external hard drive to my client for their weekly system backups. I have discouraged them from doing the weekly backups because they have all of their installation disks so the data is the most critical. Thanks again and I'll post my outcome.

13. deh

deh

Was curious as to how much data you will be backing up? In these days 700 MB is not very much. The great thing about tapes is they generally are higher capacity than CDs and IMHO are easier to carry around than external HDD. For disaster recovery purposes you definitely want to keep the backup offsite so popping a Tape in your pocket is easier than a HDD.

Depending on how much you are backing up, perhaps you may look into a DVD burner.

14. shockeymoe

I'm getting the information I require about current and expected capacity tomorrow. I would be surprised if the data requirement is currently greater than 100MB. There is no image data, just documents, a couple of databases and accounting stuff. You are right though. The DVD route is an option. The person responsible for the backup is dead set against tape.

15. southernlady

southernlady

I'm not sure why some consider cd-rw's superior over over a tape drive. The Marriott Corporation does their nightly backup on tape drives. (I use to work there and did it that way. The tapes held lots of info, we had 14 of them so that we rotated out a two week supply, and kept them in a drawer where typically magnetism wasn't an issue.

But if you are going to a disk backup why not a DVD? At least IT holds 4.7GB. I found some AWESOME tape backup drives that could hold up to 400 GB capacity on a single cartridge. All I did was go to one of the online stores and run down a list of tape drives and check the capacity. Liz

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273471

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice