1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Backup to DVD disc problem

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by enomis, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. enomis

enomis Thread Starter

When I try to backup Money File to my DVD disc, I receive this msg. "This file is set to read only. Try again with adifferent file name"
    There must be a simple answer to fix this but am apparently not thinking very well.
    OS Win 7
    Thanks for any help you can offer. :):eek:

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Unless you've formatted the DVD it won't work directly from Money or any other program, and even then it doesn't always work. You could burn the file using Windows Explorer or a CD\DVD burning program though.

There's a different solution that's better though; CD's and DVD's are falling out of favor for backups, pretty much everyone now backs up to USB sticks and USB Hard Drives. You can directly save/backup from any program to a USB device.

3. enomis

enomis Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply.......in my old XP Os, I was able to backup my Money file and each time I made a change to the Money file I could then again backup the file with the updated info. That's what I want to do now and am not able too. If I use a USB stick instead, will I be able to keep updating it as I was doing with a disc?

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    USB devices are always read and write capable, as many times as you want.

On your XP you must have had a packet writing program that formatted the discs to be able to do that, maybe something like Roxio Drag & Drop.

5. enomis

enomis Thread Starter

Again, thank you so much for your replies..........guess I'll giveup and take your suggestion and use USP stick.........am a stubborn old cuss but your solution sounds a lot less frustrating. Appreciate your help.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086315

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice