Backup to external hard drive Windows 10

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jllp

When I attempt to backup my laptop to an external hard drive, I go to Settings, Updates & Security, Backup, More Options, and Backup Now. This is after my laptop has recognized my external hard drive connected to it.

However, when I click on "Back up now", it says "Backing up your data", but then after buffering for about 8 seconds, it says "Size of backup: 0 bytes" and "Your data is not yet backed up ". I have done this 5 times. Help! Thank you.

Backing up a full system takes a really long time, with my almost full 2TB drive it took about a full day and night.
It also needs to buffer and check if it can even back it up.

So try waiting at least 30 mins and do something else while you wait for it to show signs of life

plodr

Liz
How is the external hard drive formatted? I ask because the backup is probably larger than 4GB and a FAT32 drive has a size limit of less than 4GB so if it doesn't start, that might be the problem.
Also what size is it? Is it large enough to hold the contents of the backup?

If you are following this, https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ndows-10-352091d2-bb9d-3ea3-ed18-52ef2b88cbef did you click add a drive before clicking more options?

jllp

Backing up a full system takes a really long time, with my almost full 2TB drive it took about a full day and night.
It also needs to buffer and check if it can even back it up.

So try waiting at least 30 mins and do something else while you wait for it to show signs of life
Thank you. I apologize. I forgot to say that I am just backing up two folders--my Documents and My Music. When I do it manually (open each folder, then Select and Send all the files to the external hard drive), it takes about five minutes. However, I would like to be able to use the automatic backup.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online