Solved Backup Transfer By Internet Is Blocked

Tron737

Hello and thank you for any help.

My network experience is limited and all the troubleshooting I've done has not revealed the source of the problem.
I'm looking for advice on what kind of contract network technician I should seek who can help me troubleshoot and resolve this issue.
Or if one of you here gives me some network troubleshooting advice I will appreciate that too.

The Scenario:
2 Windows-based computers, each in very distant geographical locations. Computer A = Source | Computer B = Destination
Backup software is used to backup Computer A and transfer to Computer B by way of the internet.
Both computers are connected to the internet by the ISP's provided router/modem. There is a Switch between Computer A and the ISP router/modem.
Both computers have Windows Firewall and Malwarebytes Professional for active security.

The Problem:
Something is blocking the connection of the backup software from Computer B to Computer A.
(This problem started almost a year ago and I've attempted twice to resolve the issue.)

Attempted Troubleshooting:
Firewall exceptions have been created on both computers.
Port forwarding has been created on both routers/modems.

I'm asking for one of two results:
1. Describe the title and/or qualifications of a contract network technician that could assist me.
2. Provide troubleshooting advice that may help me locate the source of the block.

Thank you again for your time and help.

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
1) What backup software are you using?

2) Have you looked at the backup software logs to see what is failing?

Tron737

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
There should be a log generated on the sending side concerning any failures to sync with a remote system. There is online documentation you should be reading through. Here is a direct link to the logging section of the software:

https://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/help/log.htm

Do you have a support contract from the manufacturer?

Tron737

My apologies for not responding sooner as my schedule has been super hectic every day. Just now I was able to look in to your suggestion.

There should be a log generated on the sending side concerning any failures to sync with a remote system.
I checked this and the logging appears to only be for the backup functionality. I re-opened the software, did a test connection of the SyncBack Touch part. It did give me an immediate log with the following generic information. (Which is why I started troubleshooting this on my own starting a year ago.)

10/12/2021 3:57:24 PM: Connected: xx.xxx.xxx.xxx port 8081
10/12/2021 3:57:39 PM: Disconnected: xx.xxx.xxx.xxx port 8081
SyncBack Touch: Error: Connection problems.
(I masked the IP address for this post. The actual IP address did show in the log.)

Do you have a support contract from the manufacturer?
No, have not ever needed a support contract as my IT skills usually are sufficient. The issue appears to be something I missed, or setup incorrectly, or is another part of networking that I lack the experience.
This is why I thought if I described the problem then someone might know what words I should use to hire a contract technician to help me troubleshoot the problem at the other end.

I will attempt to again go through all the security software for the computers on both ends and check the router firewalls and port forwarding on both ends. It has been several months since I looked at all this.

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Check to see if port 8081 is open at the destination for the source side to be able to connect. A simple test I do is to use either Telnet or SSH to connect. You're not after establishing a command line session. You're just looking to see if the server side at the destination will establish a TCP session instead of an error telling you that Telnet or SSH were unable to establish a connection.

Tron737

Check to see if port 8081 is open at the destination for the source side to be able to connect. A simple test I do is to use either Telnet or SSH to connect. You're not after establishing a command line session. You're just looking to see if the server side at the destination will establish a TCP session instead of an error telling you that Telnet or SSH were unable to establish a connection.
Before using Telnet, I used NETSTAT -AB to get a list and found the following:
TCP 0.0.0.0:8080 ComputerName LISTENING
[SyncBackTouchSvc.exe]

UDP 0.0.0.0:24671 *:*
[SyncBackTouchSvc.exe]

Since it was already active on TCP:8080 and UDP:24671 I made sure everything matched.
The destination Firewall has two rules specifically for TCP:8080 and UDP:24671.
The destination Router has a port forward rule specifically for TCP:8080.

After resetting and re-verifying the above information I installed Telnet on a 2nd computer behind the Router and used the command "telnet (ip address) 8080" which resulted in a pause, then a blinking cursor (like a command line session), and then it eventually resorted to the normal DOS line.
There was no error message or confirmation message.

At this point it seems everything is open behind the router. Do you agree?
Thanks again for your time and help.

The following comes from a SyncBack Touch Connection Problems help dialog:

Port 8080

By default SyncBack Touch listens for connections on port 8080. However, this port number may also be used by some web servers (typically for testing or development). Because of this you may need to change the port number SyncBack Touch listens on. If your are using SyncBack Touch on Android or macOS then you can change the port number via the user interface on SyncBack Touch itself.

With Linux, you need to use the command line to set the listening port:
·Using the command prompt, go to the directory that SyncBack Touch is installed in, e.g. cd /home/username
·Run the SyncBack Touch executable and pass the new port number using -port portnumber, e.g. SyncBackTouch -port 8081
·Restart SyncBack Touch

Alternatively, you can specify the port number during installation of SyncBack Touch.
If you can connect to SyncBack Touch using SyncBackPro then you can using SyncBackPro itself to change the port. To do this, modify a profile that connects to SyncBack Touch, go to the SyncBack Touch settings page and click the Configure button.

Firewalls and Routers
By default SyncBack Touch uses TCP port 8080 for all communication with SyncBack. This port number can be changed/set during the installation (see below) or by using SyncBack. If you want to access SyncBack Touch through a firewall then you must open this port. If SyncBack Touch is behind a router then you may need to enable port forwarding. Refer to your routers documentation for details.

To discover SyncBack Touch installations broadcasts are made on the UDP port 24671. You may need to open this port on your firewall (not your router as broadcasts are only made on the local network).

Virtual Private Network (VPN)
If you are using a VPN (either on the device running SyncBackTouch and/or on the device running SyncBackPro) then it's very likely that either broadcasting will not work and/or the connection will not work.

Running?
Check to make sure SyncBack Touch is actually running on the device you are connecting to. If it's on Android, then simply start SyncBack Touch. If it's in Windows then check the Windows services to see if the SyncBack Touch service is running.

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Yes. It appears something is listening on port 8080 on the far end based on your telnet test. To confirm, do the telnet test again and then, hit the return key a few times. I think the cursor will perform a carriage return with each depress of the return key until the listening server on the other end closes out the telnet session.

I don't understand why the log you posted from the software listed 8081 as the destination port.

Tron737

Thank you for the reply. I just happened to still be awake doing some reports but am going to sleep soon. Will read any response in the morning. Thanks again.

I don't understand why the log you posted from the software listed 8081 as the destination port.
That would be from my last troubleshooting attempt a few months ago. I realized today that I had considered that port 8080 might be used so switched to port 8081 back then. As of today, everything is switched back to port 8080 for a fresh start.

Yes. It appears something is listening on port 8080 on the far end based on your telnet test.
I found out earlier when looking through the netstat log that it might be the HP Printer Scanner Service. So I disabled it from starting with the computer and in the Services. But after a quick test the connection still failed.

I do see the port 50055 and 50056 listed after the internal IP address but what caught my attention was the 8080 after the printer name.
Here is what I saw in the logs:
TCP 192.168.1.73:50055 HPC326A3:8080 ESTABLISHED
[HPNETW~1.EXE]
TCP 192.168.1.73:50056 HPC326A3:8080 ESTABLISHED
[HPNETW~1.EXE]

To confirm, do the telnet test again and then, hit the return key a few times. I think the cursor will perform a carriage return with each depress of the return key until the listening server on the other end closes out the telnet session.
I did the test right now and the first and only return key caused it to immediately exit to the DOS prompt.

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
What's the source of these logs?

[HPNETW~1.EXE]
[HPNETW~1.EXE]

Is it from a netstat command? If so, you need to be looking at any logs being generated by your backup software. The fact that the PC at .73 is making a connection to the HP on port 8080 is not a problem so long as the HP isn't resolving to the same IP as the destination PC you're trying to connect to via the backup software.

Tron737

Thank you for your response. The following is what I know at this moment.

What's the source of these logs?

[HPNETW~1.EXE]
[HPNETW~1.EXE]

Is it from a netstat command? If so, you need to be looking at any logs being generated by your backup software.
I checked this and the logging appears to only be for the backup functionality. I re-opened the software, did a test connection of the SyncBack Touch part. It did give me an immediate log with the following generic information. (Which is why I started troubleshooting this on my own starting a year ago.)

*** Please note that port 8081 has since been changed back to 8080 ***
10/12/2021 3:57:24 PM: Connected: xx.xxx.xxx.xxx port 8081
10/12/2021 3:57:39 PM: Disconnected: xx.xxx.xxx.xxx port 8081
SyncBack Touch: Error: Connection problems.
(I masked the IP address for this post. The actual IP address did show in the log.)

The fact that the PC at .73 is making a connection to the HP on port 8080 is not a problem so long as the HP isn't resolving to the same IP as the destination PC you're trying to connect to via the backup software.
I'm not sure how to check if the HP Printer/Scanner resolves to the destination PC. I know that a scanning service and startup entry was active on the destination PC but have since turned it off (set it to manual start).

I have heard about the program Nmap and have it installed. Would that help?

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
You keep posting the same old log entry without the update you did to the software moving the service port back to 8080. Run the test and look at the log to see if you're getting the same message with the port changed back to 8080. You can't assume anything about previous tests with changing one setting no matter how small/benign you think it is. Troubleshooting 101.

Tron737

Thank you very much for the reminder to recheck and not assume. That was a Duh! moment.

The results were in fact different and better. It connected but then said the user credentials were incorrect. A 10-second fix on the credentials and this is now working.

One final note: when taking care of the user credentials I noticed something checked. The option was "Find and connect to the SyncBack Touch device using its name". This was probably back when I troubleshooted a few months ago.
Unchecking this box and correcting the user credentials were the final steps for this to become a success. I've attached a screenshot for anyone's benefit. The first redaction is the destination IP address.

Thank you again for all the help and guidance you provided. It is really nice to move past this problem so I can focus on everything else. I greatly appreciated this resolution and learned a little more about networking.

Have a great day! :)

SyncBack Touch Connection Troubleshooting.png

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Glad you got it sorted. I've been exposed to a ton of different systems and problems. I've learned a long time ago don't discount the simple and don't always assume the fix is something complex.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online