1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Backup with Flash USB Drive instead or External Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Koot, Jul 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Koot

Koot Thread Starter

I have had two Maxtor external hard drives fail on my wife's PC. Each one has only lasted 18 months or less. Even though the backup process was easy and automatic I am considering going with a Flash USB 2.0 Hi-Speed Thumb-type Drive to manually backup important files and images. Is there anything wrong with this method of backup that I'm unaware of?

My wife's PC has genealogy software with lots of files and associated images, etc. (for over 40,000 people), which is about 10GB in size. It is this information that needs to be backed-up whenever additions/changes are made.

I am thinking about replacing the [most recently] expired Maxtor external hard drive with either a 16GB or 32GB Flash USB 2.0 Hi-Speed Thumb-type Drive. Is this a reasonable method for backup? Which GB size would you recommend? Brand?

Thanks!

2. bigbear

bigbear

There is nothing wrong with using external drives, the problem is the make you chose.
    Maxtor have been very unreliable over the last few years and I would suggest you go with a WD drive instead.
    If you have 10g of backup and backing up incrementally say every week you would soon run out of space on a flash drive,
    Another option is to look at online backup, it is becoming very popular lately

3. Koot

Koot Thread Starter

Thanks! I do not "think" I would run out of memory space anytime soon because from this point forward the genealogy files are mostly complete, with just a few additions/changes here-and-there for deaths and births. For the most part the backups would be very minor additions/changes to the existing files instead of adding lots of new data and images on an ongoing basis.

Do you think I'd be okay with this backup method?

4. bigbear

bigbear

Personally no for that amount of data, you will also find it will take quite a long time to transfer to the flash drive as the average flash drive transfer rates are approx 30mbps

5. Koot

Koot Thread Starter

But isn't it true that once the [full] data is loaded on the flash drive (which I understand and accept will take a while) any additions/changes to the [existing] data should download quickly?

6. bigbear

bigbear

It does depend on the backup software you are using.
    I use Acronis True Image (considered to be one of the best on the market) it makes the initial backup and then incremental backups, it does not alter the first backup.
    Therefore you have another file each time it backs up although in a compressed format.
    Give it a go with the flash drive and see how you get on

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/730150

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice