1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

backup wizard

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by danimama, Jan 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. danimama

danimama Thread Starter

HI, I am running XP Pro. I am trying to backup onto a WD My Book Essential external hard drive using the Windows backup wizard. Althought I am successful with the backup if i do it manually, i am trying to do a weekly backup. When i try to configure the backup so that it will back up weekly i am not given the option. Apparently there is an "Advanced" tab that is supposed to show up when creating the backup however it does not. i also want to be able to append to future backups rather then start a new back up each and every time.

Can anyone help me with this? Thank you in advance.

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

XP backup is OK but it is not the easiest and my advice would be as you have a WD HDD to use their free version of Acronis True Image.
    Complete a full image backup.
    Then use the same program to back up your individual files. ie your music jpegs etc.
    http://support.wdc.com/product/downloaddetail.asp?swid=119

If you really want to use Windows backup see this.
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/backup_using_wizard.htm

I would also install ERUNT and do a registry backup, it can prove invaluable.
    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/erunt.html

I have attached two screenshots the first in the Wizard mode of backup shows the advanced button which after three selection will then ofer you on the fourth a chance to schedule.
    The second screenshot is in Advanced mode, which is the better one to use and is on the schedule button.

If you ned anything further do not hesitate to ask.

Attached Files:

3. danimama

danimama Thread Starter

Hi Macboatmaster;

Thank you for the information. If i use the Acronis can i schedual a weekly backup to be done once the inital backup has been made? I want to make sure i'm using the correct terms when asking these questions. What I want to do is create an image of my computer so if my computer crashes I will have a copy of everything including all files, programs, XP PRO... the whole kit and kaboodle. Hopefully you get what i mean.

4. Macboatmaster

I have NEVER thought XP backup was the best to reply on as the only backup.
    There may well be people, who disagree.
    I use Acronis Western Digital free edition on one of the computer and Seagate Disc Wizard on another.
    These programs will only work if one of the drives is that make.
    I keep an image of the computer on the external drive.
    Here is the user guide to WD Acronis True Image
    http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/AcronisTrueImageWDEditionUM.pdf

I then use XP but not on scheduled task as I have experienced it going wrong, when for instance my anti-virus is updating or my spyware, just at the time of that schedule.
    I back up on XP as and when.
    I update my registry backup with ERUNT

The free Acronis will not do ALL that you want.

There are of course other backup utilities.
    http://forums.techguy.org/smartsearch/?q=backup+software

I then use

5. danimama

danimama Thread Starter

Ok so let me see if I understand correctly.

Install Acronis and run a back up(keeps an image of the computer)

Once that's completed, run the XP backup which will back up all my files. ( earlier today i checked to see how many files i had and it looks as though i have 158 002 files, however when i did a back up using the XP backup wizard there were not nearly that many files that had backed up, I don't remember the exact number but it was somewhere in the area of 59 000 had backed up.) I cleared the external drive and here I am back to square one. :) )

Once I've backed up the files I should back up the registry

I'm a newbie so please be patient with me.

6. Macboatmaster

Not a problem, but to guide you through it step by step would obviously take hours.
    1. Download Acronis from the link I gave you
    2. Downloadthe PDF from the link I gave you and really all I can say is read it through
    3. Run the sector by sector image on acronis. DO NOT RENAME the file
    4. Go XP backup - read the link I gave you for that and NOT in wizard mode , but in advanced mode
    back up WHAT you wish of your personal files.
    You do this by simply checking the boxes.
    Next time you backup on XP do an differential backup

• Differential Backup​
      • Microsoft Description: "A differential backup copies files created or changed since the last normal or incremental backup. It does not mark files as having been backed up (in other words, the archive attribute is not cleared). If you are performing a combination of normal and differential backups, restoring files and folders requires that you have the last normal as well as the last differential backup."
      • My Description: The Differential Backup, used in combination with the Normal Backup, is in my opinion the safest and easiest method for backing up a system. Since the archive attribute is not cleared, Differential Backup will always look at the Normal Backup and if the files vary add them to the current Differential Backup. ​
    • and use ERUNT

7. danimama

danimama Thread Starter

Ok. I've already downloaded Acronis and will start with that tonight.

I will do the remainder of the next couple of days and get back to you.

Thank you in advance for all of the assistance you've provided. It's very much appreciated.

8. Macboatmaster

No problem.
    Good luck
    Read the links - especially the Acronis PDF, there are quite a lot of options and some excellent advice.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974039

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice