1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Backup

Discussion in 'Networking' started by PC_DISK1, Nov 14, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PC_DISK1

PC_DISK1 Thread Starter

Hello,
    What is the best way to do a backup without tapes and be able to take the data with me.

I was thinking of getting a firewire external HD. I dont want to install the firewire card on the server, so I have to do it from the workstation. Firewire can burst at 400mbps, but the lan is running at 100mbps. So I wont be using the firewire at its best. It will take about 15min for one GB. So I have 40GB it will take 10hr every time to complete the backup. Is there software that will only copy files that have changed and new files? I also want to keep all the folder rights the same. Can someone help with this or any other way that is simular?

2. Rockn

Rockn

You can do it with the firewire drive...just find some software that will backup to that kind of device and do incremental backups. Just initially copy everything to the drive that you want and set up the backup to back up only thos files that have changed since the last one. Needs to be some kind of software that makes an image that is readable when you transport it elsewhere. Lotsa research to do!!

3. PC_DISK1

PC_DISK1 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.

4. p5mmx10g

p5mmx10g

get the usb drive, cause it is more compatible, most of the system right now should all have usb port as standard, if you get firewire, yeah it will alot faster than the usb, but not all the computer have the firewire card as standard

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!