1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Backup

Discussion in 'Networking' started by councilman, Nov 29, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. councilman

councilman Thread Starter

I have 12 PCs set up on a peer to peer network. I would like to backup all PCs nightly using a CD recorder on one PC. Can anyone tell me if that can be done and if so how.

Thanks
    Ted

2. Rockn

Rockn

I am surprised you can even get over 10 concurrent peer connections on your network. You would need to leave them all on at night and I would just get a rather large drive in the PC with the CD-RW and run a batch file to copy the needed files to that machine one machine at a time. After that you could schedule a backup to write all the files to a CD-R. They only hold around 700MB so I would invest in a large tape drive as CD-R's aren't really a good option for backups.

3. angel

angel

I realize this doesn't answer your question, but if the data on the pc's is important enough where it needs to be backed up, I would highly suggest moving to a server environment where all important files are housed on the server. 12 pc's is getting up there in numbers for strictly peer-to-peer (I wouldn't do over 10).

4. p5mmx10g

p5mmx10g

easy way to do this with out change your enviorment is

create a share drive on the pc that's with the burner, tell all the user save all their file to that share folder, at night, you can just schedule a backup task to back up that shared folder.

depending on how large are the file you want to backup, for word doc or excel, cd is good enough, but for graphic, data base, you need a tape backup.

5. councilman

councilman Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. Can anyone tell me why more than 10 PCs is not a good idea. We are mostly using network capabilities for internet access and sharing a laser printer not sharing files.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!