1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Backups, hard drive crash

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mauipono, Dec 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mauipono

mauipono Thread Starter

Yesterday a user accidentally pressed the BackUPS's power button when he was trying to move it, which shut his computer down (was working up until then). When he restarted it, it came up with the error about cannot find the hard disk, press f1 to reboot, f2 to enter setup. F1 goes nowhere, setup shows no hard disk installed. The hard disk is clicking in sets of 5, 3, or 2 clicks. I tested the power supply--all volts light up. When I was giving him the news that his hard drive crashed, I said, "but the good news is your computer was backed up on Saturday." Then I had a deja vu moment because back in September, I told this same user the same thing. Is it possible Microsoft's backup utility is damaging the hard drives? In September, I replaced the hard drive.

I have the HDD in an external case and hooked up to my computer, but I cannot access the hard drive at all because of the clicking. I may not need to because I have a good backup, but any tips on how to get it to work?

Thank you,
    Lisa

---------------------------------------------------------
    maui: where I live
    pono: how I live (righteousness, in balance)
    :: hawaiian word of the day :)

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    No the backup utility is not damaging the hard drives. Unexpected power losses can result in such failures.

If its clicking with multiple computers there's probably not much you can do. Maybe toss it into the freezer in a Zip lock bag to cool it down then try it again. You may also try swapping the hard drive's circuit board for a 100% identical one. But I'd simply install a new drive and restore the backup.

3. mauipono

mauipono Thread Starter

Alrighty, thank you Triple6.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030148

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice