1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Backups in windows Me

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by rich.whitfield, Jan 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rich.whitfield

rich.whitfield Thread Starter

Hi again
    Do I or do I not have a backup facility inbuilt with Windows Me??
    I have found MSBACKUP help files telling me how to do backups but cant find the application
    If I dont have this where can I get it?
    Or is there any other FREE software I can use to backup my machine
    I only want tosave my info to enable a restore if I have a fatal crash??!!!
    cheers again Rich

2. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Hi rich.whitfield,
    Go to start, programs, accessories, system tools. See if backup is listed. If not try start, settings, controlpanel, add/remove programs. Clcik on the windows setup tab, hightlight system tools. click details. See if it is there. If it is check it, hit ok, then hit apply and then ok. One other point. If this is a new install it is not loaded by default. Put in the Win ME cd. click browse. double click add on folder. double click MSBackup folder. Double click msbexp(or could be Msbexp.exe) when it is done, click ok. and reboot. When it restarts look where I told you in system tools and it should be there.

3. Davey7549

Davey7549

rich.whitfield
    There is a good chance you do not have the MSBackup utility installed on you computer. Microsoft made a decision not to include the utility as part of the initial setup but did include it on the retail version of the WinME update and full version CD's. If your unit is OEM, in other words preinstalled, you may not have a complete copy of WinME in you cab files or in the CD's given if any were. If you own the Retail Cd's then follow this article.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/search/viewDoc.aspx?docID=KC.Q264541

If you do not own the retail then see below from Rich Harper MVP
    Your OEM made the decision not to give you MSBACKUP, not Microsoft. If your OEM won't provide you with a copy, your only other choice is to go out and buy a real Windows Me CDROM and install Backup from it.

Don't let your OEM try to give you a smokescreen about this being
    "Microsoft's fault" - if they had wanted to, they could have legally
    given you an "OEM" WindowsMe CD with the backup program (and, for that matter, the full WindowsMe fileset) but instead they chose to provide you with a stripped-down copy.

Richard G. Harper (MVP MPS-D)

As far as a free utility someone else will have to suggest. I use Norton Ghost myself.

Hope that helps you.
    Dave

4. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Hi Davey,
    The Rich Harper MVP is that a link? Never mind I understand. DUH!!! Braindead today!!!!!!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65601

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice