1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved backups windows 7 not sure it has worked

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by rumi, Apr 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rumi

rumi Thread Starter

Hi and thanks in advance.

Sys info.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 540 @ 2.53GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 3890 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, 1721 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 117 GB (35 GB Free); E: 1 GB (1 GB Free); F: 931 GB (213 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 172A
    Antivirus: None

Problem

I run a backup from the backup and restore centre and it chugs along happily and tells me it has completed successfully.

But

The file it creates is 0 (zero) bytes big, and when I run WinDirStat it doesn't show up on it.

However

If I double click it, it gives me an option to back up files from this location, and if I make the first step to delete it, it tells me it is too big for the recycle bin.

Do I have a viable backup or not ???

Thank you

Rumi

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Windows backup is generally a bad idea, espcially when trying to restore across different Windows versions. I use Macrium Reflect Free, which is a drive image backup. It backs up the entire drive, OS, programs, and data. For a out of box Windows with just customizations and no additional programs installed, it creates an ~8 GB file.

TerryNet likes this.
  3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    It's possible; I understand that Windows backup does not always disappoint. The "it gives me an option to back up files from this location" is an encouraging sign.

4. rumi

rumi Thread Starter

Thanks Lunar thats a good alternative which I am exploring, but it doesn't answer my question which is still a concern.

Terry. Ummmm yes I presented the "option to back up" as being one of the encouraging signs. ??? As for the comments "Its possible" and "Windows backup does not always disappoint" Although being slightly encouraging is nowhere near strong enough to convince me that the backup is ok.

Is there any test I can do to be sure, other than actually trying to back up my computer from the file it has created ?

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I was thinking "restore" even though I was clearly seeing "back up." I was thinking that you double clicked on the backup file and was given the option to restore files. So I now retract my comment about "encouraging."

6. rumi

rumi Thread Starter

Terry, Ahhhh yes my bad, I said backup when I should have said "option to restore" my apologies, we can probably reinstate your "encouraging sign", but it still leaves me not knowing whether the backup worked or not ?

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I know of no way to check if a backup (of the entire system) worked except by doing a restore. I trust Macrium Reflect Free because I have successfully restored several Windows and Ubuntu systems, but I have no way of telling if any given backup is good. I backup (to external hard drive) my systems every month or two and keep the most recent two or three, so even if one backup turns out to be bad there is a high probability that I'll still have a good, but older, backup.

I think that a good test of a backup of files is to restore a small sample of the files; if two or three can be retrieved then probably all can be.

8. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    You can mount a Macrium image file as a drive with it's own drive letter and look at or copy files from it, a good way to check if the image is ok. It's under the Restore heading > Browse Image in the Macrium program.

9. rumi

rumi Thread Starter

OK, so no easy test, ( I have no idea how to backup just a small sample of files ?)
    Leaving Macrium aside for a minute. Is this the same situation that everyone gets ? A backup file of zero bytes, and no sign of it on my disk drive map ?? Surely I'm not the only person in the world who is unsure of this situation.

When I posted this issue I expected the responses to be along the lines of trying to diagnose why my system was producing a 0 byte file, checking whether I was doing something wrong, looking at screenprints of properties or something like that.

I didn't expect to be going off at tangents to use other software or just take several backups as extra security.

I am keeping several backups, but all of them have the same issue of being zero bytes big so presumably if one is not good then they will all be no good and I end up back where I started.

Is it normal to get a backup file with filesize=0 bytes in the properties ?

10. lunarlander

lunarlander

No the backup file should not be 0 bytes.

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What lunarlander said above is, of course, true; however, from reading many other threads I believe that in some Windows versions the Windows-made backups are made to appear to be zero bytes although they really aren't.

12. rumi

rumi Thread Starter

OK, I looked on the net and found other people with the same problem.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-0-bytes/9efbca5a-4bd8-4e27-b37e-7d69c7c16109

The thread indicated that often windows hides the files from you so that you can't mess up your own backups by digging around in them (threfore appearing as 0 bytes). It also said that restoring individual files is just a normal part of the restore process.

I had a go at restoring a couple of files from my latest backup, which worked fine and was not difficult to do.

I am happy thay my back up worked ok.

Thanks for the help, I will use Macrium next time and see how that goes.

Have a good Easter :)

Rumi

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1225665

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice