Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backups

834 views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Bob Cerelli 
#1 ·
I want to back up my entire system to an external harddrive and then reinstall windows on the internal one.
My question is can I use a program to put programs back on to the internal drive from the external harddrive. I heard ghost copies everything even registry is this true?
Thanks for any help.

#6 ·
For the future, a thing that may help since you want to reinstall, I like to make an image once just the OS is the way I want, all the drivers installed, all the little tweaks are done etc. But before any major apps are installed. This way if (or when) the OS crashes and they all can, it is pretty easy to restore the OS portion.

Then after the major apps that I would always have are installed and configured I make another image. This way I have two pretty clean images to use.

I also like to keep at least the data on a separate partition so any restores won't write over it.

#11 ·
Yes, programs like True Image can image the entire drive or partition. If the programs are installed, they will be part of the image.

But from your first post it seemed like you wanted to copy everything to an external drive, just install the OS, and then selectively put back just the programs from the image. That is the part I don't think would work that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.