Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Adapter or incompatibility issues?

Solved 
737 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  SpywareDr 
#1 ·
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, Build 19043, Installed 20200804152909.000000-300
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 142 Stepping 9, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 620, 1024 MB
Hard Drives: C: 930 GB (456 GB Free);
Motherboard: HP 8339, ver 49.38, s/n PGNDB2A0GAO01Q
System: Insyde, ver HPQOEM - 0, s/n 8CG8141CQ5
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

1627248215142.png

Over the last 3 or 4 months I've occasionally been losing internet but just on my laptop. I've been with a different provider. When it first started, I would reboot the modem (unplugging and plugging back in. not pressing the useless WPS button) and it would reconnect fine. Incidentally, it only happens in one specific location of my home. it's about 20 feet from the modem. Anyway, today it happened again and since I was doing other stuff in the house, I wasn't in a hurry to reboot the modem. When I went to the PC it had reconnected. I've done all the Windows troubleshooting with no solution. Is it possible that the adapter is dying or is it a modem thing? I know a little but not near enough to make sense of this. Please help!

See less See more
#2 ·
Wikipedia: WiFi > Interference
Interference

Wi-Fi connections can be disrupted or the internet speed lowered by having other devices in the same area. Many 2.4 GHz 802.11b and 802.11g access-points default to the same channel on initial startup, contributing to congestion on certain channels. Wi-Fi pollution, or an excessive number of access points in the area, especially on the neighboring channel, can prevent access and interfere with other devices' use of other access points, caused by overlapping channels in the 802.11g/b spectrum, as well as with decreased signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) between access points. This can become a problem in high-density areas, such as large apartment complexes or office buildings with many Wi-Fi access points.

Additionally, other devices use the 2.4 GHz band: microwave ovens, ISM band devices, security cameras, ZigBee devices, Bluetooth devices, video senders, cordless phones, baby monitors, and (in some countries) Amateur radio all of which can cause significant additional interference. It is also an issue when municipalities or other large entities (such as universities) seek to provide large area coverage.

For more details on this topic, see Electromagnetic interference at 2.4 GHz.
Even bad electrical connections can cause broad RF spectrum emissions.

--

How To Get a Better Wireless Signal and Reduce Wireless Network Interference

Wi-Fi vs. Ethernet: How Much Better Is a Wired Connection?

#3 ·
Extremely helpful. Thank you. I'll make some changes and let you know.

Quick question though...in order to change the WiFi channel I obviously must access the settings. When I got set up with the network, I was given an IP that I saved as a bookmark. It is 10.0.0.1. Does that make sense to you? Because I can't connect to it, and I remember that I used to get through no problem. And yes, I disconnected my VPN but that didn't work either.

#4 ·
Right-click the Start button and select Command Prompt.
Type in ipconfig and press [Enter].

The IP Address listed on the "Default Gateway" line is your router's IP Address.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.