1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bad Axe won't accept 4 sticks of ram

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bildo17, Jan 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bildo17

bildo17 Thread Starter

My Intel 975xbx (rev. 304) will accept three 1 GB sticks of Corasair XMS memory, but when I put a fourth stick in, I get the three beeps and it won't post. I have tried all four sticks in different combinations, so it isn't a particular module that is "bad". I followed the voltage settings recommended by Corsair and have tried altering them, but I can't get all four to work at the same time. They were all purchased together, by the way. I can't find anything on Intel's site or Corsair's sited about a known problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill

2. telegramsam

telegramsam

Did you reset your CMOS? Might have to do that...

You know XP can only use about 3 GB of RAM, right?

3. bildo17

bildo17 Thread Starter

Yes, I did reset the CMOS, and I am trying to get the fourth stick in in anticipation of Vista, which should recognize all four GBs, even if it doesn't use all of them.

Bill

4. lordofdasword

lordofdasword

Not necessarily true i am unfamiliiar with the specs or your motherboard you may only have the ability to support 3 gigs of Ram and will not work with the extra in place. Also if you are trying to upgrade in anticipation of Vista WAIT I currently have a copy of VISTA and it Sucks it killed my machine with a Dual core P4 Hyperthread, basically it ran like a monster until i installed VISTA then i had to reinstall XP,

Service pack 1 is scheduled to release in Feb.

5. telegramsam

telegramsam

As the lord says, it IS recommended that you hold off on Vista until a service pack comes out. Driver support may be sketchy for a while...

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539503

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice