1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bad Bios Checksum

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shamus390, May 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shamus390

shamus390 Thread Starter

Hello, just put together a new computer, stats are as follows

ASUS k8v SE delux mobo
    amd 64 3400+ cpu
    1024 mushkin pc-3200 ram (2x512)
    radeon 9800 pro
    350 watt antec pws
    80g 7200 rpm western digital hd

Opens with a bad bios checksum, asks for asus disc, erases and rewrites bios files, asks to turn of system and restart... and then the same cycle repeats itself. This is the second time it has happened, I've swapped out the mobo and cpu for replacements(the first time the problem gradually got worse until the system woulndt even turn on), bought a new harddrive, changes pws from 350 to 380. Tried booting with only one stick of 512. Wiped cmos information, replaced battery. Still get the error, i have no idea what could possible cause thise and the chance of recieving a bad motherboard two times, consecutively isnt very likely.

Any help would be greatly appreciated....

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

I had a system with the same problem and it turned out to be the power supply. . you could try a different one to rule that out.

3. shamus390

shamus390 Thread Starter

That's a possibility, but it doesn't seem possible that it wouldn't have enough power to support the system booting..

4. CouchMaster

CouchMaster

Could be the CMOS battery.

5. shamus390

shamus390 Thread Starter

As I said in the original post, not only is this the second board, i've replaced the battery.

6. CouchMaster

CouchMaster

Sorry,
    I checked the MB out at NewEgg and this is the very first review that pops up. Maybe it will help you.
    BIOS beware
    I've had this board for about a year. Worked flawlessly until I started to push it. It crashed twice on me while playing EQII. Then I found out that the BIOS was an old version and did not support my CPU. With BIOS ver 1001, I could not use EZflash. Had to use 'afudos' to flash. Website instructions are shotty at best, new BIOS not recognized, failed flash, BIOS chip shot. Could take up to 3 weeks to have the chip re-flashed by Asus and at 1/2 the cost of a new mobo. Good board, but if you get stuck with one with BIOS ver 1001, you have my sympathies in advance

7. shamus390

shamus390 Thread Starter

Thanks, very helpful post.

I looked at some more newegg user reviews, and several had problems with the bios, i'm going to look into flashing the bios to the newest version.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/365824

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice