Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad bios flash resulted in bricked PC

2K views 13 replies 3 participants last post by  Mukansi 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm using an Acer TMP453-M notebook (Intel i5 + 4GB Ram). I tried flashing a modded BIOS (from bios-mods.com) but something went wrong. Now my PC won't start-up:

-Power LED blinks blue regularly
-Fan struggles to start every-now-and then (but keeps attempting
-No beeps heard
-Screen is lifeless

(all these were noted when only the AC cord was connected. I haven't put the battery back on)

Can someone please offer me a solution to this problem? Any input will be mightily appreciated.

#4 · (Edited)
You appear to have an Acer TravelMate P453-M laptop which came with Windows 8 64-bit.

What's the exact serial number and SNID number on yours?

---------------------------------------------------------------

These are the BIOS updates that are listed for that laptop model.

Rectangle Font Technology Parallel Software

If you obtained that BIOS update from some other site instead of from that laptop's support site, there's a good chance that it now has become a heavy doorstop.

Hopefully, David's link will help you.

#7 ·
You appear to have an Acer TravelMate P453-M laptop which came with Windows 8 64-bit.

What's the exact serial number and SNID number on yours?

These are the BIOS updates that are listed for that laptop model.

View attachment 250642

If you obtained that BIOS update from some other site instead of from that laptop's support site, there's a good chance that it now has become a heavy doorstop.

Hopefully, David's link will help you.

No. Mine came with Win7 Pro x64. I purchased it under the title "refurbished" so i know it wasn't new for sure (But was a great deal for $160).

The SNID is: 23303493272

I did get the BIOS from a third-party site because when I searched the Acer Support site, nothing came up :/

#9 ·
But I'm not gonna despair yet. I found the model's service manual online and it offered some detailed instruction about a feature called "Block Bios" and I'm planning on trying it out tonight (once my friend comes over with his PC so I can burn an official BIOS I got from driverscollection.com to my USB). {Fingers crossed}

#10 ·
Why were you trying to update the BIOS anyway?
It's generally recommended not to update a BIOS, unless it addresses and fixes a specific issue you're having with the computer.

--------------------------------------------------------------

According to that SNID number, you have this laptop which originally came with Windows 8.1 64-bit.
Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Software

Since yours was bought refurbished with Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, the Acer support site won't show that.
The support site lists the same 2 BIOS updates for both operating systems.

#12 ·
Why were you trying to update the BIOS anyway?
It's generally recommended not to update a BIOS, unless it addresses and fixes a specific issue you're having with the computer.

According to that SNID number, you have this laptop which originally came with Windows 8.1 64-bit.
View attachment 250649

Since yours was bought refurbished with Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, the Acer support site won't show that.
The support site lists the same 2 BIOS updates for both operating systems.

The VRAM option on my bios couldn't be changed (they were greyed-out), so the machine only displayed 64MB of VRAM (But surprisingly-enough I had 2GB of "shared" memory) and that stopped many of my games from launching (unless if i could find walkarounds and tweaks to individual games), and that was a real buzz-kill. A few weeks ago I finally got a copy of Doom 4 aaand... it just wouldn't start because "64MB of Video Memory is insufficient". I ran to Yahoo Answers to query my plight and there was a general consensus that I should head over to bios-mods.com to get a BIOS that would give me some decent options and liberty. I thought it would be an easy task like flashing roms on an Android... but oh boy was i wrong.

I couldn't have known it was supposed to come with Win8.1
Bear with me..

#11 ·
But I'm not gonna despair yet. I found the model's service manual online and it offered some detailed instruction about a feature called "Block Bios" and I'm planning on trying it out tonight (once my friend comes over with his PC so I can burn an official BIOS I got from driverscollection.com to my USB). {Fingers crossed}
Keep us posted on the outcome.

#14 ·
Seems like the tool Fla****.exe can't run on a x64 PC and Wincrisis is also greyed on the "browse" option. So can you guys please suggest alternative software to burn a .FD bios into a USB or CD? I tried UsbImage V1.12 (the one I used to get me into all this mess) but it's not completing the job on Win10 (It worked like a charm on my win7 however).

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.