Bad Bios..

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Gordian

Well. Today i did a very stupid thing, i tried installing a new modded bios for my Emachine motherboard (AU31). After flashing with a floppy, i forced a shut down on my computer, and when i started it up again just a blank screen. all peripherals(monitor, mouse and keyboard) arent recognized as being connected.
Now before this happened i saved a backup of the old bios but i have no clue how to load it back onto my computer. I got the modded bios from http://www.emachineupgraders.info/
- i dont think it was the modded bios actually, it was probably something i did during the install, because others seem to have had success on their forums with the same file.
Any help and advice is extremely appreciated. :eek:

If you saved the old BIOs on a floppy just reflash with it!
Also, you might want to Google 'flashing the BIOs' and refresh your memory...

Argy

Banned
Taking out that battery and reset CMOS and send BIOS back to defaults....wont it?

Argy

Banned
"phoehttp://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/41nix award bios by the way."

abuh?
wat

Usually pulling the battery will reset the BIOs - in this case it's unclear because of the bad flash - but it's worth trying before buying a new MB...

You're confusing the CMOS and the BIOS. The BIOS contains the routines used to initialise hardware, and the CMOS setup utility. If you clear the CMOS by pulling the battery, all you are doing is resetting the CMOS settings to their defaults, as specified by the BIOS. The BIOS is stored on an EEPROM chip that is not affected in any way by removing the CMOS battery. The only way to return to the original BIOS is by programming it back in, this can be done by running a flash program off a floppy disk, if you can't boot off a floppy to run it, you need to physically remove the EEPROM chip and plug it into an EEPROM programmer. This is not a trivial procedure, most people end up replacing the motherboard instead. If you send the motherboard back to the manufacturer they may be able to fix it for you, for a fee.

Arcadion said:
You're confusing the CMOS and the BIOS. The BIOS contains the routines used to initialise hardware, and the CMOS setup utility. If you clear the CMOS by pulling the battery, all you are doing is resetting the CMOS settings to their defaults, as specified by the BIOS. The BIOS is stored on an EEPROM chip that is not affected in any way by removing the CMOS battery. The only way to return to the original BIOS is by programming it back in, this can be done by running a flash program off a floppy disk, if you can't boot off a floppy to run it, you need to physically remove the EEPROM chip and plug it into an EEPROM programmer. This is not a trivial procedure, most people end up replacing the motherboard instead. If you send the motherboard back to the manufacturer they may be able to fix it for you, for a fee.
(y) - got it! Why didn't you say that in the first place?

Possibly the CMOS is the problem, so resetting it is worth a try. The flash may not have failed.

Some BIOS are on removable chips and can be easily replaced for $10 (if all else fails--this site has some other advice ):

www.badflash.com

Do you know what mb that thing has? Some boards can be flashed without booting (from a floppy containing only the ROM file).

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online