1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bad "C" drive. Can't boot up laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cqbohannon, Apr 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cqbohannon

cqbohannon Thread Starter

I have a gateway 17.3 LCD Dual core 4GB RAM 640MD HDD. It's running Window 7 home prem OA.
    When I try to boot the PC, it goes to Window recovery screen. Where it talks about a hardware problem. I select the launch repair option, then that it, a blank screen. I've been told that I have a bad "C" drive.
    I've tried to use my recovery discs(system disc & 3 recovery discs), but it get to "please wait a moment". Then continue for over 24 hours before I shut it down.

Is there any way to get my files & pics off of this laptop?
    I'm thinking of having the "C" reformatted and trying the System & Recovery discs again

Thanks
    Calvin

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

I would get hold of a Live boot CD or USB.
    There are many available on the WEB but I use Puppy Linux, or the Ultimate Boot CD (or similar), but there are many tools out there.

Puppy, being Linux based may be able to read your disk and get your data off it even if it won't run the Windows programs.
    hopefully it is only the Windows booting that is damaged and the data is OK.

If you do need help with Puppy, as I said, I use it and there is a very helpful international and multi-language forum for it as well that does not tend to be geeky at all.

3. cqbohannon

Hi Dave,
    even though my pc want boot up window, it might boot up puppy?
    Never heard of puppy. Also what exactly is an ultimate CD boot?
    I'm not a pc person per say, but I'll attempt to use puppy.

Thanks for the info. Will let you know what happen. . . .

4. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Look up the Ultimate boot CD on the web. It is a set of tools on a single CD that are designed specifically to help identify, perhaps fix, problems when you cannot boot to the hard drive. It has a wide range of tools including some to copy data off a none booting disk.

Puppy is a small, but complete Linux that doesn't take up much room and is specifically designed for Beginners. I use it to read data off disks when Windows won't load. It is very useful for me because I can run Virtualbox under it and have a copy of Windows running in the virtual machine. That means I can install client's software temporarily into an emergency virtual Windows to fix their problems.

5. cqbohannon

Hi Dave,
    thanks for the suggestion. I finally got the right ISO file for UBCD4WIN and Linux Puppy. I was able to IPL both utility. I used UBCD4WIN to get copies of desire files on the bad PC to a stand alone hard drive. Now, I'm researching on how to format the "C" on the bad PC.
    I have the vendor's WIN's 7 restore disk. Hopefully when I re-format the "C" drive, I will be able to use it.

any suggestion? .

Thanks
    Calvin

6. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    The restore disk should take care of everything.

Or you could use the HDD manufacturers disk tools to test and format the drive first. Most HDD manufacturers have a bootable ISO.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1146602

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice