1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bad connection playing games

Discussion in 'Games' started by rG-Tiger, Jan 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rG-Tiger

rG-Tiger Thread Starter

I play the game Call of duty 4 quite alot lately i havnt been able to play because of my internet seems to be running slowly. However i have run a test and it says it is running at 6.8mb does anyone know how i can speed up my internet?

2. Jason08

Jason08

You may need to open ports.
    What is the manufacturer and model number of your modem and router?

3. rG-Tiger

rG-Tiger Thread Starter

thanks for the info to be honest with you i dont now how to open ports but the make of my router/modem is Guru
    Thanks for your efforts

4. Jason08

Jason08

Go to start>programs>accessories>command prompt. Type in ipconfig, and take note of the IP address that is listed just above the subnet mask. Then go to www.portforward.com. Are the 2 IP addresses the same or different?
    If they are different, try putting the address for the default gateway from ipconfig in the web browser. What screen do you see?

5. rG-Tiger

rG-Tiger Thread Starter

Although your instructions were very easy to follow i didnt know what you meant when you said put it in the web browser sorry if this is frustatrating but do you mean just in as a URL or in google or what?

6. Jason08

Jason08

Yes, just as you would type 'google.com', just type the default gateway number in, and that might take you to a page.
    Do you know the model number of the router?

7. rG-Tiger

rG-Tiger Thread Starter

no sorry i do not know the model number. ill try the ip now

8. rG-Tiger

rG-Tiger Thread Starter

The ip took me to the home page of the guru website the make of my router. what do you suggest from here?

9. Jason08

Jason08

Can you post a screenshot of the page?

10. Jason08

Jason08

Or if you don't want to post a screenshot do you see a page that says virtual server or port forwarding?

11. rG-Tiger

rG-Tiger Thread Starter

Yes i am in the virtual server page

12. Jason08

Jason08

Do you see boxes for the name, protocol, port number, and IP address?

13. Jason08

Jason08

Not sure if you're stuck, but if from a command prompt (typing in there ipconfig) it says DHCP enabled yes, and if you see your computer listed in the router's LAN computers page, then set the DHCP lease time in the router to 7 days, or 10,080 minutes.
    Enter in your computer's IP address, and the port numbers for COD, then click apply.

14. Jason08

Jason08

Is it now working?

15. x I Joker I

x I Joker I

I would say it is the ports. Sorry if you've already solved it or something, I didn't read any other posts.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/792884

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice