1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bad Drive/OS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RayW, Feb 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RayW

RayW Thread Starter

From previous threads I have narrowed my problem down to the hard drive and not my motherboard as previously thought. My computer would not post but still had power... So swapped questionable drive into good computer and got directly to start windows normally,safe mode...etc, when I tried any options the computer would imediately reboot, a super quick flash of windows start up screen the blue screen the rebooted itself (like 1 second). When I use questionable drive as slave my files are there and looks good...defraged the drive and used adware, etc to clean it up but still no good,same problem when i tried back as master... Any ideas Thanks RayW The bad drive is a newer Maxtor 80 Gig ATA/133

2. norton850

norton850

Ray

I don't quite remember but the "bad" drive that you are putting in the "good" computer, what operating system do you have on it?

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Windows 2000/XP do not respond well to being moved to another motherboard - typical they bluescreen and reboot or just reboot really quickly.

I fyou plan on running that hard drive in this computer then you will need to boot from your Windows CD and perform a Windows Reapir Installation in order to rebuild the Hardware Abstract Layer and have it boot up properly. Then you will need to install the appropriate drivers for the hardware in that computer.

If the hard drive was at fault then this computer should not be able to POST either. Does the other computer POST now? You don't need any drive for it to POST.

4. RayW

RayW Thread Starter

Both computers are hp pavilions, diff. model #s, and running windows xp home. I never tried the good drive on the other computer,.. Tried new motherboard with bad drive and no luck...

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Again, you don't need to try another drive in the 'broken' computer as a computer does not need any drive at all to POST. Your problem may be a bad powersupply or CPU.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325819

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice