1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

bad DVD drive? sound card? speaker?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Velveedah, Jan 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Velveedah

Velveedah Thread Starter

:( I'm finding more and more DVD's that play just fine on my TV/dvd player but give me problems when I try to play them on my computer. These problems range from not being detectable at all by my DVD rom (SamsungSD 616T) to playing video and background music but no voice track. I've also had some with barely audible voice track that fades in and out.
    I ran diagnostics on my sound card (Creative SB Live) and it all (drivers mostly) passes.
    I tested my speakers, and my left and right desktop speakers work fine. My subwoofer either doesn't work or the computer doesn't test it. On the speaker list in device manager, there really isn't a choice for my configuration - 2 desktops + 1 subwoofer, so I chose the closest things, surround sound first, then 5.1 surround, though both configurations show more speakers than I have. At any rate, I can't believe the voice track would come from the subwoofer alone.
    Could it be that my system is fine but DVD's are being manufactured to frustrate computer users, and that making them harder to copy is also creating problems for those of us who just want to watch the things?
    As always, I look forward to any sage advice you can offer. Thanks, V'veedah

P.S. My audio CD's seem to play just fine.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/430430

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice