1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bad flash. EEPROM burner?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JoeTechie, Jul 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JoeTechie

JoeTechie Thread Starter

My brother brought a stripped PC from work for me to rebuild for him.
    It had MoBo (GA-686LX4), FDD, PCI Video, ISA NIC, and bad power supply.
    I bought sound card, CD-ROM, modem, and 40 GB HDD and installed them. Ordered new ATX power supply. Installed it.
    Machine would not boot. :( Got hung at detect HDD. Skip (F4) detect and boot to FDD with CD-ROM support. Ran HDD diagnostics. Ran patch to make HDD controller report to BIOS that HDD was 32 GB.
    Maxtor dynamic disk overlay installed. Everything works! :D
    Installed OS, all drivers. Installed SW he wanted. Configured everything for him. Even set his favorite music. He is gonna be pleased. :cool: Ran SiSoft SANDRA.
    Report mentions that BIOS is old. Talked to friends. Started thinking about upgrading BIOS. I could get it to talk to HDD without overlay. That would make it a little faster (PII 333 MHz, 66 MHz bus).
    So I downloaded update from Giga-Byte for the GA-686LX4 rev 2.0. It was a SEA and I didn't want to just install without making a backup copy of the BIOS so I downloaded AWDFlash 6.21 and ran it with command switches /Pn /Sy. Meaning: no flash, only save BIOS to a file. Funny characters appeared around the screen and the machine locked up solid. :confused: I waited for half an hour for response and finally rebooted. Won't boot. Won't even POST! :eek:
    This MotherBoard doesn't have BIOS reset (1998). I tried removing the CMOS battery to reset. I removed all cards and devices. Still nothing. No beeps. Black screen. Only fans and power light. My brother is not going to be happy. I'm not happy. :mad:

I'm assuming the BIOS is corrupted.
    I've still got the 256K BIN file for flashing the BIOS from Giga-Byte.
    Is it possible to use a EEPROM burner to update this Award BIOS chip? (Award BIOS 1998 PCI PNP 686 S/N 129269746)
    Has anyone ever done this (reset the BIOS with a burner)?

Thanks!!!

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I wouln't even consider buying a flasher for one time use on such an old board. You can probably pick up a newer mobo for a lot less with a little shopping around. A PII 333 is so far the line you may want to buy a new mobo and cpu. You can pick an ECS All-in-One mobo(video, sound, Duron 1800+, 256 MB of ram) for under $200 with shipping and taxes.

3. JoeTechie

JoeTechie Thread Starter

Thanks Triple6. I don't want to buy a flasher. If it is possible then I'd like to rent or borrow a flasher or EEPROM burner and fix this BIOS. This board is not quite 5 years old. ;)

I've already got almost $100 into this system (after rebates). I don't want to invest another $100. It is supposed to be a super-cheap system for my brother's place.

Do you know of anyone who has burned a BIOS ROM off the motherboard? Thanks!

4. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy there JoeTechie...

Don't know of anyone doing, it but you may want to give these folks a call...

http://www.badflash.com/

5. JoeTechie

JoeTechie Thread Starter

Thanks Jedi Master.
    I found a place called General Nanosystems. They have a flasher (ROM burner) and they tried to help me. It was a new guy that did the burning and it didn't work. Well, maybe it worked, but my motherboard is still playing dead.

Thanks for the link. Nice site. Low on style, but heavy on good content. I sent BADFLASH an email. Maybe I can just buy a new ROM from them. Still hoping to get this fixed under $30.

Have a great day :)

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Per chance did you have the option to backup the prior bios before flashing?

7. JoeTechie

JoeTechie Thread Starter

Hi Acapulco Candy,
    "I downloaded update from Giga-Byte for the GA-686LX4 rev 2.0. It was a SEA (Self Extracting Archive) and I didn't want to just install without making a backup copy of the BIOS so I downloaded AWDFlash 6.21 and ran it with command switches /Pn /Sy. Meaning: no flash, only save BIOS to a file. Funny characters appeared around the screen and the machine locked up solid. "
    It was during my first attempt at saving a backup copy of the BIOS that I fried it. I did not get anything saved.

Too bad I didn't read www.badflash.com first. Or at least run the SEA and get the correct version of AWDFLASH.
    Have a great day!

8. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

oops, reading 1.01 this morning :D :D

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/148055

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice