Bad framerate

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Afilice34

I am confused as to why I am receiving such poor framerate when I play a simple game such as terraria in 1080p(frames are a disgusting 25.5). I currently have the radeon rx 5500 xt graphics card to go along with an i9 9900k processing core and 16gb of ddr4 ram. All drivers are up to date. Any help or advice is appreciated. Thank you!

FPS also depends on whether you're playing online multiplayer or single player?
it also depends on monitor used.

What is the make and model of monitor, or can you write down details specs of your monitor and cable connection used?

What is the make and model of monitor, or can you write down details specs of your monitor and cable connection used?
Does TSGinfo give that much info

No it doesn't tell anything about monitor, but surely there could be command line workaround. (probably not precise method)

Go to the following File

C:\Windows\System32
And look for the file dxdiag.exe and open and there should be an option to save all info

Unfortunately there is no way from what I see.

Notice that monitor is connected to computer only via cable, how could OS learn monitor specs trough VGA or HDMI cable?

Afilice34

Go to the following File

C:\Windows\System32
And look for the file dxdiag.exe and open and there should be an option to save all info

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/produc...twaIk4JwKsP86op0-wsaAiIrEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
Here's the link to the monitor I'm using and also my computer data

Attachments

That tool give all the info for the displays
Ah, I'm sorry but I was so wrong about this one :sick:
There is indeed a model number in dxdiag log, I never noticed this!

I am confused as to why I am receiving such poor framerate when I play a simple game such as terraria in 1080p(frames are a disgusting 25.5)
Well you monitor is capped to 30hz
3840 x 2160(p) (30.000Hz)
And currently you are using this mode:
1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (29Hz)
I think you should really increase your resolution to native monitor mode.

Likely reason why 30hz only is because you're limited by HDMI
The link to monitor you quoted says "Upgraded HDMI connectivity supports 4K video at 60Hz" but
it says nothing about HDMI version, however 4K at 60hz must be v2.0

GPU also supports 4K @60hz
HDMI 4K60 Support
Radeon™ RX 5500 XT | Gaming Graphics | AMD
it says nothing about HDMI version but that must be v2.0 or grater (likely v2.0b)

I'm not really sure why you don't get 60hz since both components support 4K 60hz and the site you linked says you got HDMI cable for free, so please verify that HDMI cable can handle at least v2.0

Next step is to verify GPU setting and make sure it's set to 60hz as explained here (scroll down):
Adjust Display Brightness, Resolution and Refresh Rate | AMD

If this doesn't work I would definitely consider to make use of Display Port, both the monitor and GPU supports it, GPU: DP 1.4 (but it will be capped at 1.2 due to monitor limitation) but not a problem since 1.2 supports 4k @60hz

That might work but you'll have to buy DP cable.

Btw. current 30hz limitation means that FPS is also limited to 30, even if GPU outputs higher than that.

Last edited:

Afilice34

Ah, I'm sorry but I was so wrong about this one :sick:
There is indeed a model number in dxdiag log, I never noticed this!

Well you monitor is capped to 30hz

And currently you are using this mode:

I think you should really increase your resolution to native monitor mode.

Likely reason why 30hz only is because you're limited by HDMI
The link to monitor you quoted says "Upgraded HDMI connectivity supports 4K video at 60Hz" but
it says nothing about HDMI version, however 4K at 60hz must be v2.0

GPU also supports 4K @60hz

Radeon™ RX 5500 XT | Gaming Graphics | AMD
it says nothing about HDMI version but that must be v2.0 or grater (likely v2.0b)

I'm not really sure why you don't get 60hz since both components support 4K 60hz and the site you linked says you got HDMI cable for free, so please verify that HDMI cable can handle at least v2.0

Next step is to verify GPU setting and make sure it's set to 60hz as explained here (scroll down):
Adjust Display Brightness, Resolution and Refresh Rate | AMD

If this doesn't work I would definitely consider to make use of Display Port, both the monitor and GPU supports it, GPU: DP 1.4 (but it will be capped at 1.2 due to monitor limitation) but not a problem since 1.2 supports 4k @60hz

That might work but you'll have to buy DP cable.

Btw. current 30hz limitation means that FPS is also limited to 30, even if GPU outputs higher than that.
Thank you bro that fixed the issue! You're a stud!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online