1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Bad frames on brand new GTX 1080

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CJMichael, Nov 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CJMichael

CJMichael Thread Starter

I just bought a GTX 1080 and it doesnt seem to be running at its full potential, I think that my CPU and or Motherboard might be bottlenecking it... I need help soon so that i can return the CPU if i need to.
    My Specs:
    GPU: Geforce GTX 1080
    CPU Intel Core i7 4770 @ 3.4 GHz
    Motherboard: Asus Z97-AR
    16 GB ram
    120 GB Solid state drive
    1 TB Hard drive
    Samsung Ultrawide Curved 3440x1440 Monitor
    Power supply: Corsair CX750M

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  2. CJMichael

CJMichael Thread Starter

Is it possible that im bottlenecking?

3. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The processor and graphics card in your computer uses a combined total of 264 watts.
    You haven't provided the brand name and model number and wattage of the power supply in your computer, so we don't know if that's part of the issue.

---------------------------------------------------------------

5. CJMichael

CJMichael Thread Starter

I updated it with the power supply, I have a Corsair CX750m

6. CJMichael

CJMichael Thread Starter

I don't think it's running at its full potential because on games that i was getting 80-90 frames with my GTX 970 I'm only getting 20-30 with the new 1080

7. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

A couple things to check....first run the bench mark software as your system is setup now. Next, make sure you have the latest drivers installed...all of them, especially the mobo chipset driver and BIOS, then make sure you have the latest Nvidia driver for your GPU. After all that.....rerun the benchmark software utilities and compare stats.

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    It has a 5-year warranty and plenty of output on the 12-volt rail. (y)

Capture.JPG

--------------------------------------------------------------

CJMichael likes this.
  9. CJMichael

CJMichael Thread Starter

I ran the Novabench software and got a score of 957 and then i went and updated all of my drivers (the GPU driver was the only one up to date) and then I also went into Nvidia settings and selected "single display performance mode" and "prefer maximum performance" and i restarted my PC and made sure that there were no unnecessary startup programs and then i re did the test and got a score of 1623.. Then I tried some games and it seams like most of them are running well, I sill only got 15-20 frames on fallout 4 max settings and on some of my games that are early access i still was getting low frames (ie The Culling, ARK Survival evolved, 7 Days to die) Is it possible that a lot of these titles are just not optimized for the 1080?

10. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm not a gamer, so I'll stay out of that conversation.

---------------------------------------------------------------

CJMichael likes this.
  11. Cheecob

Cheecob

Are all your drivers up to date? Because I have a 970 and I'm able to run Rust, CS, and LoL, on almost maxed and get 200-350 fps consistently.

Also, are you using V-sync/G-sync?

12. CJMichael

CJMichael Thread Starter

All of my drivers are up to date, I triple checked that they were. I'm not using V-sync or G-sync, I don't think that my monitor is compatible with G-sync

13. Cheecob

Cheecob

Ok here is some other ideas you can try.

1) Try changing the pci-e spot in a 16x or 8x. If its in a 16x flip it to a 8x, and vice-versa. (Forgot this if there is only one spot)

2) Check if your monitor is connected to the GPU or the motherboard.

3) Last resort, you can uninstall and reinstall the drivers, if you haven't already.

CJMichael likes this.
  14. CJMichael

CJMichael Thread Starter

I tried all of those and still nothing on most of the early access games.. The Culling used to run at 90 frames on high settings but for some reason now it's around 20

15. CJMichael

CJMichael Thread Starter

But, all my other games are running considerably better, just some of the Alpha and beta games that might not be optimized are still running slow. I think what fixed the issue mostly was that I updated the drivers and made sure that all of the settings were set to maximum performance

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1181080

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice