1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bad graphics card or weak PSU?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sirens, Feb 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sirens

Sirens Thread Starter

I have a Compaq Presario 6000 and I havent done much to it, I've added an extra stick of 256MB RAM, an extra hard drive and now a AGP 6600GT. I've installed the 6600GT and it seems to work fine. But when I start a game, any game, it looks terrible, theres huge artifacts everywhere.

What I want to know is, before I send the card back, or buy a better PSU, is this a bad card or is my PSU not powerful enough. I think its only 240W. Honestly I never thought it would be an issue. Personally I dont think its a PSU problem, because technically the games play and run great, they just look terrible. But the only other thing it could be is a faulty card, and I'm pretty sure it isnt.
    So are the problems I'm experiencing to do with a weak PSU or a faulty card?

Also I know theres an issue with the 6600GT, a driver bug. That was the first thing I thought of, and I've tried dozens of different drivers with no luck so thats not it. Please dont reccomend any drivers to me.

2. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

It is very hard to tell. You could open your machine and unplug anything that isn't mission critical, floppy, extra CDroms, etc. and see if the card will work.

If it does then you are certain it is the power supply. If it doesn't you still wouldn't be sure. I'd try it.

3. Sirens

Sirens Thread Starter

Good idea. Well for starters there wasnt an extra power-lead thing, so I had to unplug a harddrive. I'll look into unplugging as much as I can.

4. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Yeah, it might work. Never know until you try. If you are going to run a higher end card you are going to have to upgrade the power supply anyway. It would be worth looking at immediately even if you do RMA the card.

240 watts is pretty piddling by todays standards. Actually, it has been piddling for a long time.;)

5. CarlssonMB

CarlssonMB

And Compaq's PSU's are notorious for being atrociously bad, even bad by bad standards

6. Sirens

Sirens Thread Starter

Since I have a Compaq, will I have trouble upgrading my PSU? Are all PSU's the same size? I cant see how anything bigger than my current one could fit in there.

I'm still having trouble believing that its the PSU, although it most likely is. The artifacts I was getting was at first identical to those that had the wrong drivers. And then to those that had a bad card, yet it dosent seem to be either. I thought if it was the PSU my PC would just turn off.

7. Arcadion

Arcadion

Umm, given that the 6800 Ultra needs a 480W PSU, I think 240W is a little lean for a 6600. I'd replace it with at least a 420W.

8. CarlssonMB

CarlssonMB

Well I'm not saying the PSU is the problem, although I'm sure it contributed in some way, it may be a driver issue but heres another question I havent seen, are you overclocking that 6600gt? Artifacts appear when you overclock at settings the card has trouble with.

9. Sirens

Sirens Thread Starter

No I'm not overclocking it.

10. CarlssonMB

CarlssonMB

Ok, well I'd guess the PSU is just not puttin out enough juice for that card. After all that is a very powerful card

11. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

I put a bigger PSU in an HP. I had to pull the CDroms to get it in the case but it fit. After the power supply was in the machine I was able to put the CDroms back in. It was tight but it made it with 1/2 inch to spare.

12. CarlssonMB

CarlssonMB

Reminds me, there is a difference in PSU's, open up your case and see if the connector to the motherboard is 20 or 24 pin

13. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

As long as it is a "newer" machine it should be a 24. Never know about those HP/Compaq machines though. Mine was a 725n from about 3 years ago and it was standard.

HP was the reason I started building my own. I owe them that.:)

14. Sirens

Sirens Thread Starter

I'm going to go try unplugging some stuff and sees if it makes a difference. If not I'll start looking for a new PSU.

It can run Half Life 1 perfectly, it that makes a difference. I thought that maybe if it was a faulty card it couldnt run any 3D apps at all, and if it was a weak PSU it could only run games that werent that demanding.

15. Sirens

Sirens Thread Starter

OK I unplugged everything I could, and it was hard to tell, but I think it made a slight difference. Its still awful, but in Morrowind for example the text in the menu was always unreadable, this time it was perfectly readable. Also the graphics diddnt look as bad.

The PSU is connected to the mainboard in two different places, I gather only one matters, the 20/24 pin one?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328610

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice