1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bad hard drive on a new top end Asus?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Enthoozed, Jan 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Enthoozed

Enthoozed Thread Starter

For Christmas, my wife got me the highest-end laptop Best Buy had to offer, an Asus with the I7 and 17" screen. After using it maybe 3 or 4 times, the hard drive starts making noises. I downloaded a couple of programs of my own since I got it, but the drive seems to make unusual sounds when nothing is running. I know what a hard drive sounds like when it's accessing information, and this isn't it. Seems to do it maybe 50-75% of the times the computer is turned on. A lot of noisy clicks, most of the time followed by a beep or chirp. Does this for a few seconds, waits 20-30 seconds, does it again, then waits maybe a minute, does it again, then it might do it a few times in a row, then silent another couple minutes, then more clicking with the beep at the end...doesn't seem to be any pattern. This happens when absolutely nothing is running on the computer. Having already spent top dollar on the computer, my wife thought nothing of spending the extra $350 for the full accidental extended warranty. Took it into the store on a day that it was making the noises. Of course the sounds are near impossible to hear over the background noise in Best Buy, but I finally was able to get the geek squad to hear it(had to hold it up to his ear). I was going to leave it with them but didn't bring my power cord, and they claimed they didn't have one that would work with that particular Asus(?) Gimme a break. Brought it back a couple days later with the power cord. They ran all their hard drive tests for a day and said everything works fine. Brought it home and 30 minutes later, the same crap started again. I heard some odd noises like this on my Dell desktop a while back, can't remember if it was when the hard drive died, or the second time my power supply died. I really don't know what to do, the computer is barely a month old.

2. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    Well, I would say take it back for refund; but Best Buy has a 14 day return for computers. So, I would suggest taking it back and ask for a store manager and demand a replacement or fix the dang thing...

3. Enthoozed

Enthoozed Thread Starter

It's been about 5 weeks since it was actually purchased. I don't think they'll take it back if they test it and find nothing wrong with it. It works fine, at least until the drive crashes. I don't want to spend a bunch of time downloading all my CAD programs and start using the thing for school and have it die on me. Not to mention how annoying the noise would be in a classroom. I'll have to bring it in AGAIN while it's acting up and ask the geek dude "would you be satisfied if you spent $1200 on a computer and it sounds like THIS?"

4. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    Good luck:)

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Personally I would not trust the GEEKSQUAD to do anything right on a computer I owned. I would contact Asus and use the warranty from Asus to have them make it right.

6. Enthoozed

Enthoozed Thread Starter

Don't I need to use the geeks if my extended warranty is through Best Buy? Not sure what the Asus warranty is, i'm sure the laptop is still under since it was only purchased in Dec. Saw a couple of unfavorable reviews on this computer on the Best Buy website, and both were in regards to the Asus cust. service. This sucks. Would love to just get a new drive, and even a better one(if that's what the issue is). But I have no backup discs with the Asus and my first attempt to make them with the supplied program failed, telling me to 'try again later'. What a joke. $1200 for a new computer and all i've done the first few weeks i've had it is try to fix part of it.

7. catlady13

catlady13

Just make sure you keep everything important backed up so you don't lose it when your hard drive crashes. They ALL do eventually. It is just a matter of when.

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

The fact your backup attempts failed is more than likely another example of dead or dying hard drive. I am sure the laptop must have at least a 1 year warranty from Asus and would bet they will deal with you immediately if contacted. I would get money back for BB warranty as I would rather hit laptop with sledge hammer than use them to service it(at least you can see the damage then).

I have seen so many dead and dying hard drives recently on laptops and if you really want the best solution, I would "lick my wounds" and buy a 10,000 rpm Western Digital hard drive and then use a program to clone the drive and there is a great free one from Easeus called "Disk Copy" to do that. These days the only drives I trust are WD and maybe Hitachi and would bet anything inside your "hummer" is some form of Seagate or Samsung drive which in my shop win awards if they last 6 months!
    They are usually dead out of the box in desktop models here.
    http://www.easeus.com/disk-copy/download.htm

9. Hughv

Hughv

Call ASUS. My experience with their customer service has been very good.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976147

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice