1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Bad IE6 installation

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by fpat, Sep 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fpat

fpat Thread Starter

Internet Explorer stopped working a few weeks ago (always says "Page Cannot be Displayed"). I have Mozilla, Netscape and Opera on the same computer, and they all work fine. I am running WIN 98SE. So far I have:
    1. Downloaded IE6 SP1 three times. Each time the install seems to go OK, the system reboots, and then while the system settings are being updated I get a message that the file "mstime.dll is missing or corrupted." The second time this happened, I copied the file from another WIN 98SE machine, but it made no difference.
    2. Tried to repair Explorer, to no avail.
    3. Tried to reinstall IE5, but it will not install because it says that a newer version of IE exists on the computer.

If I could remove IE completely I would try to reinstall again, but I do not know if it can be removed. Do I have to reinstall the operating system to repair IE ? :confused:

2. dugq

dugq

Hi

You could try rolling back IE to a previous version, you can do this form Add/remove programs. Once you have rolled back as far as it will go, then download IE6 and try to install
    You can completely uinstall IE using IEradicator and then reinstall, but I would leave that as the final option.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271871

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice