Bad internet connection with home wifi network

JetMagetti

Hey y'all,

My computer is having internet connection issues. The weird part is that every other device in the house, including my phone and my roommates PCs don't ever have a problem. The wifi network also always shows up as having full bars, so I doubt it's a problem with the router.

I have a surface book 3 model 1900 i7. My last surface also had this problem, so it could be a thing with surface pros.

Whenever I first turn my computer on, my wifi says 'connected, no internet access.' If I sit there long enough, it does connect to the internet, but the delay can be ten minutes or more. And when it is connected, the connection is spotty. The bulk of the internet connectivity issues are when I first turn my PC on/open it, and restarting does not fix it. The computer runs fine otherwise.

Has anyone seen this problem? I have no idea what to do

Go to systray > Network icon > right click Open Network & Internet settings > Change internet options > WiFi or Ethernet ( depending on what you use) > right click properties >TCP IP 4 > properties button. DNS. Specify 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

This tells you computer to use Google's DNS servers to translate text addresses (like google.com ) to an ip address, Google has many DNS servers and is generally speedy.

JetMagetti

Hey y'all,

My computer is having internet connection issues with our home wifi network. It always takes several minutes to connect when I first open it, and sometimes goes in and out of connection randomly.

The weird part is that every other device in the house, including my phone and roommates PCs work fine. The network always shows up as having full bars, so It doesn't seem like a problem with the router.

I have a surface book 3 model 1900 i7. My last surface also had this problem, so it could be specific to that. I don't have any trouble connecting to other wifi networks, only my home network.

I switched to google's DNS servers but that didn't do anything. Does anyone have any advice?

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Why did you not continue the original thread on this issue? https://techguy.org/1267345

It sounds like maybe the wireless NIC may be going to sleep. See if you can find the settings where you can disable that.

JetMagetti

What are you, the thread police? lol just kidding. I wanted to explain it better.

I tried adjusting the NIC sleep settings, but all the tutorials I found didn't apply to surface book 3. There is no power management tab for network adapters- I scrubbed through the control panel and kept hitting dead ends- but I'll do some more research.

I just manually updated the driver. I'll cycle through the different driver options and see if that does something

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I'm on a desktop with no Wi-fi, but this is one location of power management.

1633488233245.png

JetMagetti

Is there a reason my computer would have problems with this particular wifi network but no others? Would buying a new router help?

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
If the router works without issue with other devices, unless it is 4-5 years old, or more, there is likely no reason to replace it. I'd try a USB Wi-Fi adapter first, much cheaper.

Does your Surface have the same issue on other networks?

JetMagetti

If the router works without issue with other devices, unless it is 4-5 years old, or more, there is likely no reason to replace it. I'd try a USB Wi-Fi adapter first, much cheaper.

Does your Surface have the same issue on other networks?
Only the home network. That's the weird part. Yeah I might just buy one of those and see if it helps

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online